University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee

Unclassified Leave Accounting Statements
Frequently Asked Questions

Are faculty and academic staff required to complete monthly leave reports?
Yes. Leave reports are required by state statute Chapter §40.05 (4)(bp)(3b) and by University Unclassified Personnel Guidelines (UPGs). If no sick leave is taken during the reporting period a report indicating no or zero (0) leave taken is still required.

In what increments is sick leave reported?
Full-time faculty and academic staff appointments report sick leave, according to University policy, in one-half and full day increments. Absences between one-quarter day (2 hours) and three-quarters day (6 hours) are charged as one-half day (4 hours). Absences greater than three-quarters day (6 hours) and one and one-quarter day (10 hours) are charged as one day (8 hours).Part-time, less than a 100% appointment, faculty and academic staff charge sick leave on an hour for hour basis in accordance with their approved work schedule. While leave is earned on the basis of your percentage of appointment, sick leave is charged based on the actual use, not your percentage of appointment.

Is there a standard 40 hour schedule or do I select my own?
Under University policy, Unclassified Personnel Guideline #10.06, you have two options. The work week will be defined by:
  • Automatic consent to the standard business week Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or
  • Alternative schedule by mutual agreement, in writing, with the department chair, or appropriate administrator.
When is it appropriate to use sick leave?
Sick leave can be used for personal illness, injury, disability, pregnancy and bereavement. See Unclassified Personnel Guideline #10.04 for a more detailed explanation on the use of sick leave.

Do I lose accumulated sick leave not used by the end of the year?
No. If you report completely, accurately, and in a timely manner, your sick leave not used during the year earned is carried over year to year.
What benefit does sick leave provide at retirement?
At retirement your accrued sick leave days, converted into hours, are multiplied by your highest basic pay rate with the University or state converted into an hourly rate of pay. The resulting amount of "sick leave credits" will pay your state group health insurance premium cost during your retirement years. In accordance with the University's Financial and Administrative Policy #29, Section IV(H), the hourly rate of pay is calculated by dividing your highest monthly rate of base salary by 174 hours. If you have 15 or more years of University service, additional supplemental sick leave credits are added to the balance, based on your years of service and program maximums. For example: A faculty member retires after 20 years of service with 1500 hours of sick leave accumulation. An additional 1040 hours are credited as a result of the Supplemental Sick Leave Credits. The total hours, 2540, are multiplied by the faculty member's highest hourly rate of pay which results in "credits" to pay state group health insurance after retirement.

May I use sick leave before it is earned?
No, with one notable exception. Newly hired full-time faculty and academic staff are granted an initial sick leave entitlement of 22 days on the date of hire providing they meet the sick leave program eligibility requirements. No additional sick leave is credited for 18 months. Part-time faculty and academic staff will receive an initial entitlement prorated based on their percentage of appointment. After 18 months have lapsed faculty and academic staff earn a maximum of 12 days per year.

Will I continue to accumulate sick leave while on a leave of absence?
If your approved leave of absence is "with pay" (i.e., faculty sabbatical) you continue to accumulate sick leave and report sick leave usage. Your sick leave will accrue at the rate in effect prior to your approved paid leave of absence. If the leave is granted "without pay," no additional sick leave is accumulated or reported.

Is sick leave reported during Winter and Spring breaks? Is reporting required?
Yes. Faculty and academic staff are in pay status during both Winter and Spring breaks while classes are not in session. During these periods faculty and academic staff are required to fulfill any and all university obligations under the terms and conditions of their employment. Sick leave used during these periods of the academic year must be reported.

How do I access my online Unclassified Leave Accounting Statement?
You will access your leave statement through your employee portal at
Can I submit my leave report electronically?
No. Your leave statement will be delivered electronically through the UWM Portal. You will be required to print and complete the report and submit to your department timekeeper in hard copy as you currently do.

What happens if I do not submit a leave report?
The missing report(s) will be attached to your monthly statement. All missing leave reports for the current fiscal year must be submitted by August 1st, or your carryover of sick leave will be limited to 8.5 days for 12-month employees and 6.5 days for 9-month employees. Restitution of full carryover can be reinstated if missing reports are received by September 30th. Beyond that day, restitution is not possible in any circumstance.

What if I am on Sabbatical and don’t submit a report?
You are still required to complete and submit a monthly leave statement while on sabbatical. If not on or near campus, a suggested option would be to mail, fax or scan and email the completed report.

What if I don’t use any leave in a given month?
You are still required to complete and submit a leave statement indicating no leave was taken.

Will I continue to receive a hardcopy of my Leave Account Statement?
No. This is a major change. These statements and reports will only be distributed electronically through the portal.

Will I be notified each month when the leave statements/reports are available in the portal?
Yes. You will be notified by email every month that a new leave report and statement is available in your portal.

Who should I contact if I have questions about the information displayed on my leave statement?
As always, you should contact your School or College Personnel Representative (PREP).