Office of Legal Affairs


Need Advice?

Intake of New Matters

Each attorney in the Office of Legal Affairs is a generalist, capable of handling a wide variety of legal matters.  The attorneys rotate handling new matters to ensure that someone is always available to respond quickly to urgent issues, while simultaneously accommodating planned workloads and schedules.

If you need advice regarding a new, University-related legal matter, please call 229-4278 or email and indicate that you have a new matter or question for the intake attorney.  In some cases, the intake attorney may not be immediately available to speak with you, but will respond to your call as soon as possible. 

Legal Affairs’ office staff may ask you to provide some background information about your issue and/or to email or fax any relevant documents, so that the intake attorney will be better prepared to assist you when your call is returned.  Legal Affairs’ non-attorney staff members are subject to the same confidentiality obligations as are its attorneys. 

Please note that the Office of Legal Affairs advises the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and is unable to offer legal advice regarding personal matters. Please see below for other resources.

You’ve Been Served

If your matter is extremely urgent (e.g. you have been served with a court order or subpoena demanding immediate access to university records), please disclose that to the person answering the telephone, who will arrange for an attorney to speak with you immediately.

Existing Matters

If you have a question about an existing matter, please use our Staff Directory to contact the attorney who has been handling that matter or call our main number at 229-4278.

Personal Matters

If you have a personal matter for which you need assistance, please see our Referrals for Personal Services.

Legal Resources on the Web

You are always welcome to browse the information we have made available on a wide range of Legal Topics impacting the University, Useful Forms, as well as our links to General Legal Resources. (6-9-09 Note: Some or all of these links are currently under construction.)