- Border Section
- from Vanderbilt Marble House, Gothic Room
- Newport, Rhode Island
- House designed by William Morris Hunt
- Traditional stained glass
- 13th Century
Marble House in Newport, Rhode Island was designed between 1889-92 by Richard Morris Hunt for William Kissam Vanderbilt, grandson of Cornelius Vanderbilt. The house, an eleven million dollar summer cottage, was given by William Kissam Vanderbilt as a birthday present to his spouse, Alva Erskine Smith Vanderbilt. The geometric border owned by Oakbrook-Esser Studios was originally a fragment of a larger stained glass program surrounding the east and south walls of the Gothic Room in Marble House.
The stained glass arrangement was composed of thirteenth century cathedral glass enhanced by nineteenth century reproductions. This geometric border along with other portions of the glass configuration was originally from the Rhineland region in Germany and date to the thirteenth century. The piece is characteristic of thirteenth century stained glass borders in its stylized, repeated flower motif and patterned geometric design. The use of bold, primary colored glass was popular. In addition, the use of strong colors such as deep blue, ruby red and green glass painted with an opaque brown pigment was a common technique of stained glass craftsmanship demonstrated at the time.