Jennifer M. Hawkins
Ph.D., Communication, UW–Milwaukee, Expected May 2014
M.A., Communication, UW–Milwaukee, 2010
B.A., Communication, UW–Milwaukee, 1995
Focus of Graduate Studies:
Doctoral student studying health communication within interpersonal and intercultural contexts with emphasis on sensitive health topics. Currently I am studying communication surrounding early pregnancy loss.
My coursework and teaching assistantship are preparing me to teach all levels of courses related to qualitative methods, public speaking, mediation, health communication, interpersonal and intercultural communication.
Commun 381: Health Communication
Commun 101: Interpersonal Communication
Commun 103: Public Speaking
- Peer Mentor to New Graduate Student (1st Year Ph.D. Student), Communication Department, 2012-2013
- Presenter: Campus-wide Teaching Assistant Orientation Program. “Learning from Experience: Discussions with Experienced TAs,” Fall 2012
- Participant: Realigning for Inclusivity: Reframing Diversity at UWM-strategic planning event, facilitated by Dr. Caesura McDowell, March 2, 2012
- Reviewer for Health Communication & G.I.F.T. Divisions, Central States Communication Association (CSCA) 2012 Conference, Fall 2011
- Study abroad assistant to South Korea and Japan, May 2009
- Academic Advisor - School of Information Studies, UW–Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI
- International Educational Tour Consultant – EF International Tours, Portland, OR
Recent Conference Presentations:
Hawkins, J.M. (2013, April). Ethical issues in hidden communities: Alternative contexts and methods. Central States Communication Association, Kansas City, MO.
Kim, S., Lim, T., Song, H., Hawkins, J.M., Herrman, A. R., Kim, H., Ota, H., Kim, J., Kim, J, England, N., Tenzek, K., Cramer, E., Omori, K., Grimes, D., & Dilbeck, K. (2013, February). Promotive versus preventive dietary practice and self-construal: Communicating healthful food choice. Top Paper in the Health Communication Interest Group presented at the Western Communication Association Convention, Reno, NV.
Song, H., Hawkins, J.M., Kim, J., Omori, K., Tenzek, K., Kim, S. & Lim, T. (2013, February) Health information seeking online: An experimental study focusing on Internet skills. Paper presented at the Western Communication Association Convention, Reno, NV.
Hawkins, J.M., & DeCloedt-Pinçon, D. (2012, November). New Directions for an Old Problem: Understanding the Nature and Impact of Bullying through Discourse Analysis. Top Student Paper in Peace and Conflict Studies Division presented at the National Communication Association Convention, Orlando, FL.
Hawkins, J.M. (2012, October) Helpful and hurtful enacted support messages experienced by women regarding early pregnancy loss. Paper presented at the Organization for the Study of Communication, Language and Gender, Tacoma, WA.
Hawkins, J.M. (2012, October) Negotiating pregnancy loss: panel discussant. The Organization for the Study of Communication, Language and Gender, Tacoma, WA.