The Department of Communication has a history of being dedicated to providing the highest quality of instruction.
The Department's dedication to teaching has been recognized both inside and outside of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Among its faculty's most recent recognitions are:
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Undergraduate Teaching Award
Three of the Department's faculty, Kathryn Dindia, Jack Johnson, and Lindsay Timmerman, have received this award which is given annually for excellence in undergraduate teaching. This award is given annually to three of the +900 faculty members of the university and is based on a university peer and student review.
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Alumni Association Teaching Award
Jack Johnson received this award. The award is given to one faculty member annually for excellence in teaching by the UWM Alumni Association.
- National Communication Association Donald H. Ecroyd Award for Outstanding Teaching in Higher Education
Jack Johnson received this award, the field's highest national teaching honor. The award is given annually to one faculty member across the nation.
- Central States Speech Association Outstanding Young Teacher Award
A number of the Department's faculty, including Jack Johnson, Renee Meyers, and Kathryn Olson, have received this award. The award is given annually to outstanding high school and college speech communication teachers. The Central States Speech Association represents 13 states in the Midwest.
- Regents Teaching Excellence Award
Kathryn Olson has received this award which recognizes outstanding teachers from among all UW System Institutions, awarded by the UW System Board of Regents.
- Andrew T. Weaver Award for Wisconsin Outstanding College Educator
Kathryn Olson has received this award which is awarded by the Wisconsin Communication Association.
- Dick Ringler Peace Educator of the Year Award
Robert Ricigliano has received this award from the Wisconsin Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies
- University of Wisconsin System Faculty College
Four of the Department's faculty have been given this opportunity which is designed to develop and enhance teaching effectiveness.
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Center for the Improvement of Instruction Teaching Fellows Program
Four of the Department's faculty have been given this fellowship which is designed to allow the fellows to share his/her teaching expertise with the entire University.
- University of Wisconsin System Teaching Fellows Institute
Mike Allen and Kathryn Olson have received this honor which is given annually to develop and enhance teaching effectiveness.