Frank E. X. Dance Scholarship
The Frank E. X. Dance Scholarship recognizes and supports undergraduate Communication majors who are completing scholarly research that enhances our understanding of the human communication process.
To apply, a student must:
- be a declared undergraduate Communication major at UWM with at least one full semester of coursework remaining before graduation
- have completed a minimum of 70 college credits with at least of 20 credits in Communication
- have completed, or be in the process of completing, an upper level (300 and above) communication research methods course
- be actively engaged in communication research activities
Selection criteria for this scholarship are based upon:
- overall grade point average in all coursework
- GPA in the Communication major
- evidence of research participation, including enrollment in COMMUN 288, 588, and papers submitted to undergraduate research and honors conferences
- quality of the project as described in a written statement
- applicant’s potential for benefiting academically from receiving the scholarship
Applications that request support for research to be completed during the either the Summer or Fall must be received by 4:30pm on May 1st. Applications requesting support for the Spring must be received by 4:30pm on November 1st.
To apply, a student must submit the following items:
- the Frank E. X. Dance Scholarship application form (link is available on the Department of Communication’s Scholarships/Awards website, see below)
- a current copy of the student's UWM transcript (unofficial copies are acceptable)
- a written statement describing the research project, the likely products of the project (presentations, publications, etc.) and the way that the research will enhance our understanding of the human communication process
- verified records of any financial assistance or previous scholarships awarded on the basis of financial need
To apply, please complete the application process via the following link:
All inquiries should be sent via email to the Department of Communication’s Awards and Recognition Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org
PO Box 413
2522 E. Hartford Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53201