Requirements and recommendations for the PhD program are listed below. Please take the time to read through the following notes before designing your own plan of study at UWM.
- For the PhD Program: Students can transfer up to 27 credits from a master's degree.
- Each student's program of study must be approved by a faculty advisor, the Plan G Coordinator, and the Associate Chair of Graduate Studies.
- Subject to the approval of the Graduate Professional Writing (Plan G) Advisory Committee, students may take up to 6 credits in a closely related field. Students who wish to petition for more credits in a related field need to check with their advisor and the Associate Chair of Graduate Studies in the English department.
The Ph.D. program requires 54 credits beyond the B.A., with no more than 27 credits earned at the master's level. In addition to completing the requirements of the Master's program, a PhD also requires:
9 credits in core courses in theory, practice, research, and teaching
- Professional Writing Theory (English 712)
- Qualitative Research (English 713)
- Professional Writing Theory and Pedagogy (English 706)
6 credits in other 700-level or 400-U/G level courses in Professional Writing
15 credits in 800-level courses in Professional Writing (and in related areas, upon approval by the advisor)
24 elective credits