Declare a Film Studies Minor

Minor in Film Studies

A minor in Film Studies may be a useful addition to the programs of students majoring in other areas in the Humanities or Arts. Students with a major in another discipline can apply for a minor in Film Studies by completing the appropriate Declaration of Minor and by meeting with the Film Studies Program advisor (see contact info below).


Students must complete 18 credits in approved Film Studies courses. English 290 Introduction to Film Studies and Art History 205 History of Film I are required. The remaining 12 credits must be in courses that carry credit toward the major. At least 9 credits must be taken at or above the 300 level in residence at UWM. Students must maintain a 2.5 grade point average in all courses in the minor.

Procedure for Declaring a Minor:

  1. Obtain and complete a Declaration of Minor form (done during Film Studies advising appointment).
  2. Set up an advising appointment via email with Dr. Benjamin Schneider.
  3. Bring an up-to-date student copy of your transcripts to the advising appointment. (You should return to meet with the Film Studies advisor regularly to discuss your progress.)