The American Geographical Society Library

A highlight in the research facilities available at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is the American Geographical Society Library, which is housed on the 3rd floor of the East Wing of the Golda Meir Library. Accepted by the Board of Regents in 1976, this world-renowned, multi-million dollar collection was moved to UWM in August of 1978 and became available for public use in 1981.

Formerly the largest privately owned geographical research collection in the Western Hemisphere, it contains over 500,000 maps, 200,000 volumes, nearly 440,000 photographs, 12,000 atlases, and 120 globes. The acquisition of this rare and expansive collection makes UWM a major research and reference center in Geography. A monthly bibliography, Current Geographical Publications, which was formerly published by the American Geographical Society since 1938, was then published by the UWM Library-AGS Library until 2006. Since then, it has been replaced with CGP-Contents.

Internships for graduate students are available at the AGS Library.

The AGS webpage can be found at: http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/AGSL/