Emily Courter; Undergraduate Student
I have grown up for a love of nature and the outdoors since I was little, and knew I wanted do a career that let me enjoy the earth, so why not geology? My mother is also a geologist, and I always had so much fun spelunking through caves or digging for fossils at the top of the Teton Mountains with her. Along with the outdoors, I love to hunt, fish, camp, mountain bike, and cook. My field of interest right now is hydrogeology, taking an environmental approach for a future career. My success so far in geology has been being so lucky to enjoy the great opportunities I have had so far, and there will be many more to come.
Currently I live in Waukesha, and work at Autozone in Menomonee Falls. I have been with the zone for over 7 years, and need a change! I love working on cars (when I have the time and money!) and I play the piano for the geo band, the Drumlins. I also love to karaoke. I enjoy being outdoors, and doing outdoor activities, and obviously just hanging out with good friends. I am a friendly, approachable person, so don’t be afraid to say hi!
- Hometown/High School?
Oshkosh WI, Oshkosh West High
- Year in School and expected graduation date?
Sophomore, Spring 2014.
- What brought you to UWM?
The urban atmosphere, along with all the things to do.
- What convinced you to major in Geosciences?
My Mother is a geologist, and was influenced by her.
- What field of study would you like to go into and how would you describe it to a prospective student?
I want to go into hydrogeology because it works well in an environmental aspect.
- What's been your best experience so far?
My best experience so far in geology has been looking for fossils this past year in Texas.
- Have you gotten the opportunity to participate in field trips, field work, or travel as part of your education?
No, I have not, but through tons of life experiences with my Mother, and for the second part of my life living in Iron Mountain, MI, I have been exposed to great geological structures and opportunities.
- Have you gotten the opportunity to participate in a student research project while at UWM?
Not yet, but would be a great experience to do so.
- What trait or thing has allowed you to succeed in geology?
I am a very curious, adventurous scientist, and love to spelunk and explore our earth.
- How would you describe the Department of Geosciences at UWM to a prospective student?
The department is filled with great, down to earth people who are just as big of kids as we are!
- Do you have any advice that you would give to a student who is new to the Geoscience major at UWM?
Some classes linked to an L&S degree can be very difficult, and discouraging, but if you work hard, it all pays off in the end.
- What do you most enjoy about Milwaukee?
Especially in the summer and warmer months, I enjoy the trails and activities on Bradford Beach.
- What are your plans after you graduate?
I plan to travel first as much as I can, and then hopefully be an environmental specialist for an oil or mining company out west.