Daniel Kelley; Undergraduate Student
I am starting my fifth year at UWM and am working on my second undergraduate degree in geology, the geophysics option. My first degree is a BA in History from UWM. Outside of the geosciences department I help with astronomy research and work for the Student Success Center as a freshmen mentor. Within the department, I have been helping grad students and professors with some of their research. I am really interested in geochemistry and being able to apply research techniques to better understand both Earth processes and other planetary bodies in our solar system.
- Hometown/High School?
Whitefish Bay, WI
- Year in School and expected graduation date?
- What brought you to UWM?
Originally because I moved back to Milwaukee.
- What convinced you to major in Geosciences?
Started taking random geology classes and got hooked.
- What field of study would you like to go into and how would you describe it to a prospective student?
Currently, geochemistry is of the greatest interest to me; it’s looking at the chemicals in minerals and Earth processes like gasses being released by volcanics, and understanding why these elements are there.
- What's been your best experience so far?
Being able to conduct research using XRF/XRD techniques.
- Have you gotten the opportunity to participate in field trips, field work, or travel as part of your education?
Yes, several field trips across Wisconsin for structure, mineralogy/petrology, and glacial geology.
- Have you gotten the opportunity to participate in a student research project while at UWM?
Yup, several, for volcanology, structural geology, X-ray analytical methods, and helping professors and grad students with their research. I'm hoping to continue research
- What trait or thing has allowed you to succeed in geology?
Great curiosity for understanding the world around me.
- How would you describe the Department of Geosciences at UWM to a prospective student?
The most amazing department in the entire university; very friendly and welcoming.
- Do you have any advice that you would give to a student who is new to the Geoscience major at UWM?
Take chances with classes; even if you think you might not like a subject area take a class anyways because you might learn that you love the subject area. Also, talk with the professors, they're all really nice and very helpful.
- What do you most enjoy about Milwaukee?
There is always something to do throughout the year.
- What are your plans after you graduate?
Not really sure, maybe grad school, but hopefully conducting research.