Erin Weber; Undergraduate Student
My name is Erin Weber and I am a senior graduating this December with a B.S. in Geology and Conservation and Environmental Science. I love the outdoors, backpacking, and traveling. My field of interest has always been petrology/volcanology, but I have been warming up to Hydro lately. My friends won't believe that when they read it. Unfortunately I have no discrete successes, but I consider myself successful overall. I have enjoyed and done well in all of my Geology classes, and I wish I could take even more; too bad I've been in school too long. Ha. Geology Rocks.
- Hometown/High School?
Wausau West Highschool, Wausau WI
- Year in School and expected graduation date?
Super duper senior, December 2011
- What brought you to UWM?
I moved to the city with friends and needed to finish school.
- What convinced you to major in Geosciences?
You’ve heard the story, I always had rocks in my pockets. It wasn’t my first or even my second degree choice. It hadn’t occurred to me that it was a serious career maybe because it wasn’t really introduced at all at my previous schools. I took Glacial geology and I was hooked.
- What field of study would you like to go into and how would you describe it to a prospective student?
I’m really not sure yet, I like Petrology as well as geomorphology; and yes, even some hydrology. I would tell them it is all awesome.
- What's been your best experience so far?
really enjoyed all of my field trips and field camp was something that’s hard to even explain. Besides that, I have met so many friends that I hope I will have forever.
- Have you gotten the opportunity to participate in field trips, field work, or travel as part of your education?
Field trips for multiple classes.
- Have you gotten the opportunity to participate in a student research project while at UWM?
Sort of, I did an independent study with Dr. Barry Cameron preparing samples from Iceland looking at CO2 and H2O content.
- What trait or thing has allowed you to succeed in geology?
I love to be outside and I’m eager to learn. It’s a very broad yet complicated field.
- How would you describe the Department of Geosciences at UWM to a prospective student?
It’s amazing, like a big family. Professors rock.
- Do you have any advice that you would give to a student who is new to the Geoscience major at UWM?
Work hard but have fun. Don’t forget to use the sweet computer lab.
- What do you most enjoy about Milwaukee?
It has a great atmosphere. Summers are hoppin’, the lake is beautiful, there are great restaurants and bars. It’s big but not too big.
- What are your plans after you graduate?
To get a grown up job that I love.