Ethan Guyant; Undergraduate Student
Hi there. I am Ethan Guyant and I grew up in Neenah, Wisconsin. I have always had an interest in the outdoors. I enjoy experiencing the outdoors through backpacking as well as many other outdoor activities. To go along with my love for the outdoors I am also an avid traveler, traveling throughout Europe the summer of 2010. Looking at what UW-Milwaukee had to offer, the Department of Geoscience seemed like an obvious choice, and has turned out to be an excellent decision. I am a Geophysics student here at UW-Milwaukee. One of my favorite opportunities I’ve had so far was presenting my research project at the UW-Milwaukee Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Hometown/High School?
Neenah, WI, Neenah High School
- Year in School and expected graduation date?
Junior expected to graduate 2013.
- What brought you to UWM?
The city atmosphere of Milwaukee was a very important part that helped me decide to come to UWM.
- What convinced you to major in Geosciences?
A general interest in the outdoors resulted in me taking the introduction to earth course and after that course I knew geosciences would be a good fit for me.
- What field of study would you like to go into and how would you describe it to a prospective student?
Hydrology can be a challenging area of study but also be very rewarding knowing that even if it’s in a very minor way you’re part of a solution to a problem we all face.
- What's been your best experience so far?
Having the opportunity to present the research I have been working on at the UWM Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Have you gotten the opportunity to participate in field trips, field work, or travel as part of your education?
Not yet, but look forward to opportunities in the future.
- Have you gotten the opportunity to participate in a student research project while at UWM?
I am currently working with Professor Margaret Fraiser researching morphometrics of the bivalve Claraia.
- What trait or thing has allowed you to succeed in geology?
I consider myself hardworking, self motivated, and having a high level of interest in geology which have all helped me succeed.
- How would you describe the Department of Geosciences at UWM to a prospective student?
The Department of Geosciences is filled with extremely helpful professors who are more than accommodating helping you succeed. It also offers a broad variety of areas of study and over all I have enjoyed my experience within the Department.
- Do you have any advice that you would give to a student who is new to the Geoscience major at UWM?
My advice would be to get involved as soon as possible in any way possible and to get to know professors/students within the department.
- What do you most enjoy about Milwaukee?
My favorite part of Milwaukee would have to be the big city atmosphere.
- What are your plans after you graduate?
After graduation I plan on working towards receiving a Masters degree within my field of interest.