The Geosciences Department maintains one student computer lab for PC-based computers in Lapham Hall Room 249. This computer lab is maintained for the benefit of undergraduate majors and graduate students in the department's programs. The room is locked with an electronic door, if you need a computer lab key card please see Brett Ketter in Lapham Hall Room 350 to check one out.
Please report all computer laboratory problems to Brett Ketter or use the L&S IT Office's Lab Support Request form.
Be sure to be VERY SPECIFIC about the nature of the problem.
Computer Lab Rules
- Computer labs are to be used only by Geoscience students for academic purposes.
- No food or drink is to be consumed in the computer lab at any time.
- WHEN FINISHED BE SURE TO LOG OUT SO NO ONE ELSE CAN GET TO YOUR FILES!!!
- DO NOT LEAVE FILES ON THE DESKTOP OR WHEN YOU LOG OUT THEY WILL BE DELETED!!!!!
- YOU MUST LEAVE THE DOOR CLOSED TO THE COMPUTER LABS AT ALL TIMES!!! PRESS THE GREEN BUTTON TO OPEN DOOR FROM THE INSIDE.
- Please shut off lights if you are the last to leave.
- When checking email, be sure it is from someone you know before opening ANYTHING, to avoid viruses.
- Downloading of any non-academic material WILL NOT be tolerated (e.g. MP3's, porn, etc.) and WILL result in loss of computer lab privileges and possible University sanctions.
- The lab now has pay-for-print, so get a print card and use double-sided for the cheapest copies. You can get the cards in the Union, EMS, and the library.
- Place unwanted printed sheets into the proper wastebasket, that is, CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF.
- Please be considerate of others while working in the lab (e.g. loud conversations, radio, etc.). The computer lab is not intended to be a social gathering spot!
- If you are not able to print, call the UITS Help Desk at 229-4040 for support. (DO NOT continue to send print jobs to the printer if you know it is not working!)
- If there are any equipment malfunctions, please find BRETT KETTER in LAP 350, Ph.229-6171 before attempting any repairs. If you can’t find Brett Ketter, go to http://www4.uwm.edu/letsci/lsito/support/index.cfm and fill out the form to get tech support (for email, login and network issues).
- Please be aware that there are power issues in this room and some computer may be down because of it. Please let me know if you cannot power on a machine or the printer is off. Thank you.