Miles from start
-- BEGIN at UW-Whitewater Visitor Center , Parking
Lot 7. Enter lot from Starin Road
Directions to Stop 1
- Turn RIGHT out of Lot 7 on Starin Rd. and continue ~2 blocks west
to Tratt St.
- Turn LEFT on Tratt St. and continue ~3 blocks south to Main St.
(which is also Hwys. 12 West & 89 North).
- Turn RIGHT on Hwys. 12/89 and continue ~1 mile west to Indian
Mounds Parkway (Culver’s Restaurant on the right).
- Turn LEFT on Indian Mounds Parkway and continue ~0.2 miles south
to IndianMoundsPark on right.
1.3 mi. STOP 1:Indian Mounds
Park - offload bus, tour Indian mounds throughout woods
Directions to Stop 2
- Turn around on Indian Mounds Parkway and return north ~0.2 mi to
Main St. (Hwys. 12/89)
- Turn LEFT (WEST) on Hwys. 12/89 and continue ~6.3 miles to Hwy M.
- Turn RIGHT (EAST) on Hwy. M and continue ~0.5 miles to Hausz
Bros. Quarry entrance on left.
8.3 mi. STOP 2: Hausz Bros. Quarry - HARD
HATS REQUIRED - offload bus at glacial section. Board bus to ride
to quarry. Time permitting, there should be an opportunity to collect
fossils and rocks.
Directions to Stop 3
- Turn RIGHT out of quarry and continue west ~0.5 miles on Hwy M, back
to Hwys. 12/89.
- Turn RIGHT on Hwys. 12/89, continue north into Fort Atkinson, across
the Rock River, and out of Fort Atkinson on Hwy 89 North. Continue
north on Hwy 89, taking a left and then a right turn at the junction
with Hwy 18, to Hwy Q (total from Hwy M ~8.2 miles).
- Turn RIGHT on Hwy Q and continue ~4 miles north to Aztalan State
Park on right.
22 mi. STOP 3: Aztalan State Park on the
Crawfish River - offload bus to tour historic Indian mounds and former
village. Self-guided placard tours available. Pit toilets available.
Directions to Stop 4
- Turn RIGHT out of park on Hwy Q and continue north over I-94 overpass,
through Milford and over the Crawfish River. Continue ~4 miles north
of Milford to Navan Rd. (total from AztalanSt. Pk. ~7.3
- Turn LEFT on Navan Rd, and continue ~1.0 mile west to River Rd.
- Turn RIGHT on River Rd and continue north ~0.9 miles to Rubidell
- Turn LEFT on Rubidell Ln and enter River Bend Resort within ~0.4
32 mi. STOP 4: River Bend Resort on the Crawfish
River - LUNCH, view glacial section of drumlin/kame? Restroom facilities
Directions to Stop 5
- Exit River Bend Resort on Rubidell Ln., continue ~0.4 miles to River
- Turn LEFT (north) on River Rd. and continue ~1.0 mile to Hubbleton
- Turn LEFT on Hubbleton Rd, then quick RIGHT on Rte. N and continue
to Hwy 19 (total ~2.8 miles)
- Turn LEFT on Hwy 19 and continue ~4 miles west to Hubbleton Rd.
- Turn RIGHT on Hubbleton Rd. and continue ~0.3 miles north to entrance
to Waterloo Quarry on left.
42 mi. Stop 5: Waterloo Quarry - HARD
HATS REQUIRED - offload bus at base of quarry, view several bedrock
exposures and sections. Time permitting there should be an opportunity
to collect rocks.
Directions to return to UW-Whitewater
- Turn RIGHT out of quarry and return ~0.3 miles south to Hwy 19.
- Turn RIGHT on Hwy 19 and continue ~2.6 miles west into Waterloo to
Hwy 89 S
- Turn LEFT (south) on Hwy 89 South and continue ~31 miles on Hwy 89
all the way back to Whitewater, passing through Waterloo, Lake Mills,
Jefferson and Fort Atkinson. (Once in Whitewater, turn LEFT off Main
St., on to Tratt St, then RIGHT on Starin Rd, and continue ~2 blocks
to Lot 7 at the Visitor Center.)
76 mi. END trip back at UW-Whitewater Visitor Center,
Parking Lot 7