- UWM Graduate School
- UWM Graduate School Homepage
- Prospective Students
- History Requirements
- Online Application Procedures
- Financial Support
The Department of History offers M.A. and Ph.D. programs that prepare students for careers in historical research, in teaching, and in archives, museums, historical societies, historic preservation agencies, libraries, and government. Its courses cover a wide array of geographically, chronologically, and thematically defined topics.
At the Master's level, the Department offers four options:
- a general degree in History;
- a specialization in Public History, for those interested in areas such as museum work, archival administration, and historic preservation, with an intensive multi-disciplinary option in historic preservation;
- a coordinated Master's program (MA/MLIS) in History and in Library and Information Science; and
- a specialization in Urban Historical Studies for students who intend to pursue a Ph.D. in Urban Studies.
The Department also participates in interdisciplinary Master's and doctoral programs in Urban Studies.
For information on grants/awards and teaching assistanships available to graduate students in the History Department, please consult the information on this website under Financial Support/Awards.