How to Apply to the Program
Applicants must submit the following to the Graduate School:
- An online or paper application form
- An application fee
- A statement of reasons for graduate study. Applicants should explain how their interests relate to the program's emphases on research and critical thinking
- Transcripts for all college coursework
Applicants must submit the following to the graduate director, Elana Levine, or the department office:
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from instructors.
- GRE scores.
- A writing sample in English, preferably of academic writing.
Students should apply as early as possible. Students who wish to be considered for teaching assistantships should apply by the end of March for the following fall semester. Fellowships administered by the Graduate School require completed applications by early January or early February, depending on the fellowship.
For information about international admissions, visit the Center for International Education.
Admissions and Assistantships
Students seeking admission to the graduate program in Media Studies must meet the general requirements of UWM's Graduate School. They must also have satisfactory scores on the Graduate Record Examination, strong undergraduate records, solid letters of recommendation, and interests that fit the program's emphases on research and critical thinking.
UWM offers competitive salaries for half-time teaching assistantships.