Admission to the JAMS Major and Minor
Eligibility and Deadlines
Students will be eligible to declare the JAMS major or minor without completing an admissions appeal if they meet all of the following criteria:
- They have completed JAMS 101 and 201 with at least a 2.50 GPA in the two courses.
- They have an overall GPA of at least 2.50.
- They have at least 24 credits on their transcript, excluding credits obtained through examinations (such as CLEP and AP credits) and retroactive foreign-language credits. These 24 credits must include at least 12 credits taken in residence at UWM unless the applicant has completed a bachelor's degree and is seeking an additional major or degree.
Students who meet the listed criteria should contact the JAMS office at 229-4436 or firstname.lastname@example.org. They will be assigned a JAMS adviser and schedule a meeting to complete the declaration process.
NOTE: The JAMS department does not declare new majors/minors during the week before classes begin in the fall or spring semesters or during the first two weeks of those semesters.
Students who do not meet the declaration requirements listed above must go through the appeals process for admission to the JAMS major or minor.
Appeals for admission to the JAMS major and minor will be accepted by the JAMS office in Bolton 510B until noon CST one week before the start of classes for that semester.
Preparing the Admissions Appeal
Printable Appeal Form (pdf; also available from the JAMS office)
Appeals must have the following four parts in order:
- An appeal form;
- A current UWM transcript (official or unofficial);
- A current résumé;
- A 500-word written statement outlining the applicant's academic interests, career goals, experience related to Journalism, Advertising, and Media Studies, or related areas, and any other factors that may be relevant to the decision about admission to the major or minor.
Three stapled, collated copies of the four-part application must be submitted, and all materials must received by the JAMS office by noon CST one week before the start of classes for that semester. Place the three copies of your application in a 9 x 12 envelope. Do not use a binder or folder of any kind. Please do not submit samples of your work or additional materials. The appeals committee will contact you if anything is needed.
Notification of Appeals
Before registration for the next semester, applicants will receive an admissions notification sent to their UWM e-mail addresses. Students offered admission to the major or minor will be required to complete declaration of major or minor forms in the JAMS office and to meet with a faculty advisor within two weeks of the date of the e-mail. Those who do not complete the forms and meet with an advisor forfeit admission.