Directions to the Mathematical Sciences Department
- Internal Page Links
- Driving Directions
- Food & Restaurants
- Google Maps Directions
- Campus Map
- Department Floor Plan
Driving Instructions to UWM
From South (Chicago or airport)
- Take I-94 west (it actually runs north) until you reach I-794 near downtown Milwaukee.
- Take I-794 east and follow the lane that reads “to Lakefront” or “Lincoln Memorial Drive”.
- You will quickly come to a stoplight where you will turn left onto Lincoln Memorial Drive and follow it approximately 3.5 miles along the lakefront until it turns away from the lake and climbs a hill to a stoplight.
- Go straight at this light---you are now heading west on Kenwood Boulevard. Continue west on Kenwood for several blocks to a stoplight at Kenwood and Maryland Avenue.
- Continue west on Kenwood for another block, then turn right into a large parking lot. The Engineering and Mathematical Sciences (EMS) Building is the tall building at the northwest corner of this parking lot. The Math Department is on the 4th floor of this building.
From West (Madison)
Take I94 east to Milwaukee. When you approach the downtown area, follow I-794 east towards the lakefront. Then follow the above instructions.
Parking near EMS may be scarce, though easier to find before 9AM.
Parking Option 1: Surface Lot
Park in the surface lot on Kenwood Boulevard described in the above driving instructions. Park in a space which does not require a Faculty/Staff Permit. Pay for parking at the machine at the edge of the lot.
Parking Option 2: Underneath the EMS Building
Instead of turning into the surface lot, continue west on Kenwood to Cramer Street. Turn right on Cramer and proceed north for about one block. Look for parking signs which direct you under the EMS building. Pay the machine, then take the elevator to the 4th floor.
Parking Option 3: Surface Lot
Another surface lot is located at the corner of Cramer St. and Hartford Ave. The entrance to this lot is reached by proceeding north on Cramer to the next corner (Hartford Ave.), turning right (east), and turning into the first driveway on the right. Park in a space which does not require a Faculty/Staff Permit. Pay for parking at a machine in the lot.
Parking Option 4: Street Parking
There are 1- and 2-hour metered and unmetered parking places on the streets near EMS, the longer period parking places being found farther from EMS.
There are several options to get transportation from Milwaukee's Mitchell Airport to UW-Milwaukee or a hotel. The most popular is probably Airport Connection. In early February, 2009, round trip from the Airport to UW-Milwaukee was quoted around $40 for one person on June 3, 2009. Fares decrease exponentially for additional riders.
Round trip cab fare from the airport can be had for around $60. Cabs can be hailed outside of the baggage claim. You can arrange for the return trip by calling American United Cab, (414) 220-5000 or Yellow Cab, (414) 271-2710.
Several car rental companies are near or at the airport. In early February, 2009, price quotes ranged from $200-$770 for 4 nights of rental, including fees, but no insurance, mileage, gas, or additional charges for drivers under the age of 25. From least expensive, to most expensive, they are:
More car rental companies at General Michell Airport.
Food and Dining
- Very Close - Oakland Ave., 1 block west of EMS building
- Qdoba Mexican Grill, $6-$10
- Jimmy Johns Subs, $4-$8
- Noodles & Co., $6-$10
- Domino's Pizza, $5-$20
- Walkable - Oakland Ave., 1 block west, 2-3 blocks south
- George Webb's, $4-$12 (Diner chain)
- Subway, $4-$8
- Cousins Subs, $4-$8
- Oakland Gyros, $4-$10
- SoLo Pizza, $10-$20 (Italian)
- Shahrazad Middle Eastern Restaurant, $8-$20
- Thai Kitchen, $8-$12
- Walkable - Downer Ave., East Side of Campus
- Sala Da Pranzo Italian Restaurant, $10-$20
- Dogg Haus, $7-$10
- Quite a Hike
- William Ho's, $5-$20 (Chineese Buffet)
- Harry's Bar & Grill, $6-$30
- Lake Park Bistro, $20-$40 (A wonderful french restaurant. Make a reservation.)
- Cafe Hollander, $7-$20 (Belgian style Cafe)
- Nessun Dorma, $7-$15 (Has veg. fare)
- Beans and Barley, $5-$15 (Also has organic grocery)
- Izumi's, $10-$30 (Sushi)