Office: EMS E422
Phone: (414) 229-5103
Ph.D. Applied Mathematics, University of Houston, 1995
M.S. Dept. of Applied Math., Hunan University, Changsha, China, 1985
B.S. Dept. of Applied Math., Hunan University, Changsha, China, 1982
Postdoc., NYU, 1996-1999
- Numerical Analysis, Computational Mathematics, and Mathematical Biology
- Numerical solutions of partial differential equations, numerical optimizations, and high performance scientific computing
Selected Service, Projects, and Publications
- NSF Research Grant Award, $399,935 ($230,263 for PI at UWM and $169,672 for PI (Prof. L. R. Scott) at the University of Chicago), Division of Mathematical Sciences, National Science Foundation (NSF), 2012 – 2015. Project title: Collaborative Research: Advances in Nonlocal Dielectric Modeling and Free Energy Calculation for Protein in Ionic Solvent.
- Principal Investigator for NSF Collaborative Research, $590,691 ($265,417 for UWM and $325,234 for PI (Prof. L. R. Scott) at the University of Chicago), Division of Mathematical Sciences, National Science Foundation, 2009 – 2012.
- Principal Investigator for NSF Research Award, $520,479 (Co-PI Dr. Peter Butko), Division of Mathematical Sciences, National Science Foundation, 2003 – 2007.
- Co-Principal Investigator, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, NIH grant, subcontract from Medical College of Wisconsin, 2005-2008.
- Manager, High Performance Scientific Computing Laboratory, Mathematical Sciences Department.
- Convergence Analysis of Truncated Incomplete Hessian Newton Minimization Method and Application in Biomolecular Potential Energy Minimization, Computational Optimization and Applications, (2009) doi: 10.1007/s10589-009-9252-7, with Mazen Zarrouk. [pdf]
- An improved algorithm and its parallel implementation for solving a general blood-tissue transport and metabolism model, Journal of Computational Physics, (2009), doi: 10.1016/j.jcp.2009.07.024 with R. K. Dash and D. A. Beard. [pdf]
- A new minimization protocol for solving nonlinear Poisson-Boltzmann mortar finite element equation, BIT Numerical Mathematics, 47(2007), with S. Zhou. [pdf]
- A new block parallel SOR method and its analysis, SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 27(2006). [pdf]
- Efficient implementation of the truncated-Newton algorithm for large-scale chemistry applications, SIAM J. Opt., 10(1999), with T. Schlick. [pdf]
- Analysis of the SHAKE-SOR algorithm for constrained molecular dynamics simulations, Methods and Applications of Analysis, 3(2000), with L. R. Scott, and T. Schlick. [pdf]