2012 L&S Tuition/Fee Reimbursement Guidelines

Within UWS Financial and Administrative Policies (FAP) G25 and UWM S54, the College maintains the following policies and procedures for reimbursement of academic staff and nonrepresented classified staff who successfully complete formal career-related course work or training.

  • Staff members with an appointment at 50% or greater in one of the following employment categories are eligible: probationary or indefinite appointment academic staff, limited appointees, permanent non-represented classified staff, or classified project appointees.
  • Applications must be received in the College Office allowing for sufficient time for review and processing prior to the beginning of the course.
  • The College will be the sole funding source for reimbursement - individual College units may not provide funding for tuition and fee reimbursement.
  • UWM segregated fees (but not special course or program fees) for a qualifying course will be waived.
  • Reimbursement for a qualifying course will be for 50% of the tuition for the course up to but not exceeding 50% of the standard UWM in-state tuition rate.
  • A qualifying course is one that is career-related and is judged to be of mutual benefit to the College and to the employee in terms of increased knowledge and ability. Within these guidelines, a career-related course (1) is related directly to maintaining or improving performance in an employee's current job, (2) provides for career development within the University, or (3) is mandated by law or regulation for an employee to retain his/her job.
  • An administrative committee designated by the Dean will review applications and recommend to the Dean whether or not a course requested for reimbursement qualifies under the policies and these guidelines.
  • Reimbursement will be limited to one course (up to 5 credits) per academic term up to a total of no more than nine (9) credits for any individual during a given fiscal.
  • A grade of "C" for an undergraduate course and a "B" for a graduate course (or their certified equivalent) is required for successful completion of a course and qualification for reimbursement.