Bimal K. Sarma
Phone: (414) 229-6336
Material Properties at Very Low Temperatures and High Magnetic Fields; Quantum Solids and Fluids Low Temperature Techniques; Superconductivity: Thin Films and Modulated Alloys; Heavy Fermion Systems; High Tc Materials; Neutron Diffraction.
Bimal K. Sarma
Bimal K. Sarma obtained his first M.Sc. in 1970 at the University of Delhi (India) and his second M.S at Northwestern University in 1976. He received his Ph.D. from Northwestern University in 1980. From 1974 to 1982 he worked as a resident associate at Argonne National Laboratory and from 1980 to 1982 as a Post-Doctoral Fellow at Northwestern University. His second postdoctoral fellowship was from 1982 to 1983 at Argonne National Laboratory. The following two years he worked as a research associate at Northwestern University.
Since 1984 Dr. Sarma is at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, where he holds the rank of Professor. He has been recipient of a UWM Research Award and several National Science Foundation Awards.
- S. Adenwalla, S. W. Lin, Q. Z. Ran, Z. Zhao, J. B. Ketterson, J. A. Sauls, L. Taillefer, D. G. Hinks, M. Levy, and Bimal K. Sarma
"Phase diagram of UPt3 from ultrasonic velocity measurements"
Phys. Rev. Lett. 65, 2298 - 2301 (1990)
- A. Suslov, J. B. Ketterson, D. G. Hinks, D. F. Agterberg, and Bimal K. Sarma
"H-T phase diagram of URu2Si2 in high magnetic fields"
Phys. Rev. B 68, 020406 (2003)-
- B. Y. Cheng Bimal K. Sarma, and I. D. Calder, S. Bhattacharya, and J. B. Ketterson
"Acoustic Detection of a Propagating Shear Wave in a Smectic-A Liquid Crystal"
Phys. Rev. Lett. 46, 828 - 831 (1981)
- J. R. Feller, C.-C. Tsai, J. B. Ketterson, J. L. Smith, and Bimal K. Sarma
"Evidence of Electromagnetic Absorption by Collective Modes in the Heavy Fermion Superconductor UBe13"
Phys. Rev. Lett. 88, 247005 (2002)
- I. D. Calder, D. B. Mast, Bimal K. Sarma, J. R. Owers-Bradley, J. B. Ketterson, and W. P. Halperin
"Group-Velocity Spectroscopy of Collective Modes in Superfluid 3He-B"
Phys. Rev. Lett. 45, 1866 - 1869 (1980)
- C. C. Tsai, J. R. Feller, Bimal K. Sarma, and J. B. Ketterson,
"Instrumentation for cryogenic microwave cavity resonance measurements"
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 75, 3158 (2004)
- A. Suslov and Bimal K. Sarma, J. B. Ketterson, F. Balakirev, A. Migliori, and A. Lacerda"Ultrasonic instrumentation for measurements in high magnetic fields. II. Pulsed magnetic fields"
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 77, 035105 (2006)
- C. C. Tsai, J. Choi, Sunglae Cho, S. J. Lee, B. K. Sarma, C. Thompson, O. Chernyashevskyy,. Nevirkovets, and B. Ketterson
"Microwave absorption measurements using a broad-band meanderline approach"
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 80, 023904 (2009)
- Bimal K. Sarma, M. Levy, S. Adenwalla and J. B. Ketterson
“Sound Propagation in the Heavy Fermion Superconductors”
Physical Acoustics volume XX, pgs 107-189, in "Ultrasonics of High Tc and other Unconventional Superconductors" Academic Press, edited by M. Levy.
- M. Levy, Bimal K. Sarma, M.-F. Xu and K. J. Sun.
“Ultrasonic Propagation in High Tc Superconductors”
Physical Acoustics volume XX, pgs 237-301, in "Ultrasonics of High Tc and other Unconventional Superconductors" Academic Press, edited by M. Levy.