The physics most interesting to Guptasarma and colleagues is often found near a critical phase transition bordering an unconventional quantum physical ground state. As a Condensed Matter Physicist and a Materials Scientist, Guptasarma seeks to elucidate the fundamental physics behind unusual electronic and magnetic properties of materials, ranging from large single crystals to tiny nanocrystals. The group’s work helps predict and discover new materials whose properties can have wide-ranging applications in present and futuristic electronic devices. Guptasarma currently directs the research of two postdoctoral scientists, four graduate students, and a number of undergraduate interns. His research is currently supported by four grants (two NSF awards, an AFOSR grant and one RGI grant) in the broad areas of novel superconductivity, magnetism and ferroelectricity. More information on his research can be found here.
Professor Prasenjit Guptasarma received his PhD from the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, after earning his M.Sc. at the Center for Advanced Research in Physics & Astrophysics, University of Delhi,. He was a visiting professor and INFN fellow at the CNR Institute for Molecular Spectroscopy, and an NSF postdoctoral appointee at the Argonne National Laboratory. He joined the physics faculty at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee as an assistant professor in 2000, where he is currently an associate professor.
Professor Guptasarma has published over 100 research articles, and presented over 45 invited talks in different countries. He is a member of several national and international collaborative research networks.
Recent recognitions of Guptasarma's research and teaching include the UWM’s Research Excellence Award (2008), the Research Growth Initiative award (2006), the NSF Career Award (2005) from the US National Science Foundation, the Graduate School Research Committee award (2005), and the WSGC-NASA's Research Infrastructure award (2006) . Guptasarma was appointed Wisconsin Teaching Scholar in 2008. Guptasarma enjoys teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- R. P. Saichu, I. Mahns, A. Goos, S. Binder, P. May, S. G. Singer, B. Schulz, A. Rusydi, J. Unterhinninghofen, D. Manske, P. Guptasarma, M. S. Williamsen, M. Rübhausen,
"Two-Component Dynamics of the Order Parameter of High Temperature Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+δ Superconductors Revealed by Time-Resolved Raman Scattering",
Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 177004 (2009)
- Bo Chen, S. Mukhopadhyay, W. P. Halperin, P.Guptasarma, D. G. Hinks,
"Evidence for intrinsic impurities in the high-temperature superconductor Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8+δ from 17O Nuclear Magnetic Resonance",
Phys. Rev. B 77, 052508 (2008)
- B. Chen, W.P. Halperin, P. Guptasarma, D.G Hinks, V. Mitrovic, A.P. Reyes, P.L. Kuhns,
“Two dimensional vortices in Superconductors”,
Nature Physics, 3, 239 (2007).
- D. Budelmann, B. Schulz, M. Rubhausen, M.V. Klein, M.S. Williamsen, P. Guptasarma,
“Gap-like excitations in the superconducting state of Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8 Studied by Resonant Raman Scattering”,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 057003 (2005).
- E.J. Singley, M. Abo-Bakr, D.N. Basov, J. Feikes, P. Guptasarma, K. Holldack, H.W. Hubers, P. Kuske, M.C. Martin, W.B. Peatman, U. Schade, G. Wustefeld,
“Measuring the Josephson plasma resonance in Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8 using intense coherent THz synchrotron radiation”,
Phys. Rev. B 69, 092512 (2004).
- N. Miyakawa, J.F. Zasadzinski, L. Ozyuzer, P. Guptasarma, D. G. Hinks, C. Kendziora, K.E. Gray,
“Predominantly Superconducting Origin of Large Energy Gaps in underdoped BiSrCaCuO from Tunneling Spectroscopy”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 83 (5) 1018 (1999).
- M. Rubhausen, O.A. Hammerstein, A. Bock, U. Merkt, C.T. Rieck, P. Guptasarma, D. G. Hinks, M.V. Klein,
“Doping Dependence of Electronic Interactions in Cuprate Superconductors – doped Antiferromagnets or Antiferromagnetic Fermi liquids?”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 82 (26) 5249 (1999).
- J. C. Campuzano, H. Ding, M. R. Norman, H. M. Fretwell, M. Randeria, A. Kaminski, J. Mesot, T. Takeuchi, T. Sato, T. Yokoya, T. Takahashi, T. Mochiku, K. Kadowaki, P. Guptasarma, D. G. Hinks, Z. Konstantinovic, Z. Z. Li, H. Raffy,
“Electronic Spectra and their Relation to the (pi, pi) collective mode in High Tc Superconductors”
Phys. Rev. Lett. 83 (18) 3709 (1999).
- H.L. Liu, G. Blumberg, M.V. Klein, P. Guptasarma, D.G. Hinks,
“c-axis Electronic Raman in BiSrCaCuO ”,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 82 (17) 3524 (1999).
- Y. deWilde, N. Miyakawa, P. Guptasarma, M. Iavarone, L. Ozyuzer, J.F. Zasadzinski, P. Romano, D.G. Hinks, C. Kendziora, G.W. Crabtree, K.E. Gray,
“Unusual Strong-Coupling Effects in the Tunneling Spectroscopy of Optimally doped and Overdoped Bi2Sr2aCu2O8+x”,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 80 (1) 153 (1998).