Phone: (414) 229-4969
Research Interests: Biophysics; Biophotonics; Optics; Optical Spectroscopy; Dielectric Spectroscopy; Fluorescence; Forster Resonance Energy Transfer (FRET); Protein Complex Structure; Imaging, Dynamics.
Professor Raicu's main research interests are:
• Spectral fluorescence imaging, Förster resonance energy transfer (FRET), and nonlinear optical microscopy for studying protein-protein interactions and protein complex structure and dynamics in vivo
• Studies of the physical properties of heterogeneous systems, including biological cells and tissues, biomembranes, electrode/electrolyte interfaces, polymers, and colloidal systems
• Dielectric and mechanical relaxation in biological and nonbiological systems
• Nonlinear laser spectroscopy for probing reaction dynamics and mechanical and thermal relaxation in proteins
Valerica Raicu obtained his Physics Diploma in 1991 and his Ph.D. in Biophysics in 1998, both from the University of Bucharest (Romania). During that time, he worked as a Research Scientist for the Institute of Physical Chemistry of Romanian Academy (1992-1996) and for Research & Design Institute for Rare and Radioactive Metals (1996-1998). The following three years he was a Research Instructor at the Department of Physiology at Kochi Medical School (Japan). In 2002 Raicu obtained a Postdoctoral Fellowship at the Departments of Chemistry and Physics and Charles H. Best Institute, University of Toronto.
Since 2004, Raicu has been at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, where he holds the rank of Associate Professor in the Department of Physics and Adjunct Assistant Professor at the Department of Biological Sciences. He currently serves as the Chair of the Physics Department. Professor Raicu has developed a Biophysics course for which he also wrote the book Integrated Molecular and Cellular Biophysics (Springer, 2008). His research is currently supported by a UWM Research Foundation’s Catalyst Grant.
- V. Raicu, M.R. Stoneman, R. Fung, M. Melnichuk, D.B. Jansma, S. Rath, L.F. Pisterzi, M. Fox, J.W. Wells, D.K. Saldin
"Determination of supramolecular structure and spatial distribution of protein complexes in living cells"
Nature Photonics 3 (2009) 107-113.
- M. Stoneman, M. Fox, C. Zeng, V. Raicu
"Real-time monitoring of two-photon photopolymerization for use in fabrication of microfluidic devices for biological investigations"
Lab Chip 9 (2009) 819-827.
- L.F. Pisterzi, D.B. Jansma, J. Georgiou, M.J. Woodside, J.T-C Chou, S. Angers, V. Raicu, J.W. Wells
"Oligomeric size of the M2 muscarinic receptor in live cells as determined by quantitative FRET"
Journal of Biological Chemistry (2010) in press
(Published online, March 19, 2010)
- Deo R. Singh, V. Raicu
"Comparison between whole-distribution- and average-based approaches to the determination of FRET efficiency in ensembles of proteins in living cells"
Biophysical Journal (2010) in press
- M. Stoneman, A. Chaturvedi, D.B. Jansma, M. Kosempa, C. Zeng and V. Raicu
"Protein influence on plasma membrane dielectric properties: in vivo study utilizing dielectric spectroscopy and fluorescence microscopy"
Bioelectrochemistry 70 (2007) 542–550.
"Efficiency of resonance energy transfer in homo-oligomeric complexes of proteins"
J. Biol. Phys. 33 (2007) 109-127
- V. Raicu
"FRET-based determination of protein complex structure at nanometer length scale in living cells"
In: A. Diaspro (Editor), Nanoscopy. Multidimensional Optical Fluorescence Microscopy, CRC Press (2010)
- V. Raicu, M. Schmidt, M. Stoneman
"Structural dynamics and kinetics of myoglobin-CO binding: time-resolved X-ray diffraction and four-wave mixing"
In: V. Yakovlev (Editor), Biochemical applications of nonlinear optical spectroscopy, CRC Press (2009)
- V. Raicu, A. Popescu
"Integrated Molecular and Cellular Biophysics"