Political Science Minor Requirements

The Minor

A minor in the Department of Political Science is particularly suited to students with a major in a related social science discipline, such as International Relations, History, Sociology, or Economics. Of course, it may also be of interest to students in other departments as well.

Requirements for the Minor

  • At least 18 credits in Political Science
  • At least 9 of those 18 credits must be in upper-division courses (courses numbered 300 and above)
  • Work must include courses from at least TWO of the four subfields of Political Science which include American Politics, Comparative Politics, International Politics, and Political Theory. Students should consult the most current version of the Undergraduate Catalog to determine which courses fall into which subfields.
  • A 2.5 GPA in all Political Science courses

Declaring a Minor in Political Science

We're glad you made the decision to minor in political science! Students wishing to declare a political science minor may do so in one of two ways:

Declare your Pol Sci Minor with an Advisor

In order to declare your new political science minor with an advisor, just follow these simple steps:

  1. Obtain an unofficial transcript from Enrollment Services (MEL 274) or print from your PAWS account.
  2. Fill out the “Declaration of Minor” form, which can be found in Bolton 614.
  3. Schedule a meeting with one of the political science advisors (Click on Undergraduate Advising Hours to email or call to make an appointment).
  4. Meet with an advisor, determine your course plan, and declare your minor.
  5. You should also consult with an L&S advisor about general education and college requirements. The Political Science advisors are not trained to help you with those requirements. They can be reached at x4654 in Holton Hall 142.

Declare your Pol Sci Minor Online

Students may also declare a POL SCI minor via e-mail. To do so, you must complete the Online Declaration of Minor Form (pdf) and e-mail it to psmajor-add@uwm.edu. An undergraduate advisor will consult your transcript and, pending sufficient credits, will file a declaration of minor form with the College of Letters and Science. Prior to making this request, it is very important that you consult all of the requirements for the POL SCI minor (see above).

Please allow three to four weeks for processing online declaration requests. We will not send a confirmation e-mail when we have processed your application. Thus, if you do not see a declared POL SCI minor reflected in your records on PAWS within three to four weeks, please contact an undergraduate POL SCI advisor (see Undergraduate Advising Hours).

Also, if you have any questions regarding coursework for the POL SCI minor, you will need to visit with one of the POL SCI undergraduate advisors during their designated office hours or by appointment. We will not conduct advising appointments via e-mail. You should also consult with an L&S advisor about general education and college requirements. They can be reached at x4654 in Merrill Hall 142.

Students who have opted to restrict the release of their directory information at UWM should not utilize the online process for declaring a political science minor.