L&S Administered Scholarships
The College of Letters & Science (L&S) and its departments administer a number of scholarships and monetary awards for undergraduates and graduate students enrolled in an L&S program. Our largest programs include:
- New Directions Scholarship provides $3,500 for four first-year students with a declared major in any L&S area of study. This award is renewable for up to three additional years for $3,500 each year. The total package across four years of college for a student can be up to $14,000.
- Gertrude Eichstaedt Scholarship is available to students in any L&S major entering their sophomore year. Students receive $1,000 awards, and typically 10 to 12 scholarships are awarded each year.
- William F. Halloran Scholarship is awarded to a sophomore, with a strong preference for a student majoring in a Humanities field (art history, communication, English, any foreign language, philosophy). Preference is also given to students in the Honors College. Two scholarships of $1,000 each are awarded each year.
- Walrus Club Memorial Scholarship requires a declared major or intent to major in literature (English or foreign language) or journalism, advertising and media studies. Two $1,000 scholarships are available.
- Many department-level scholarships are also available with varying criteria. Students should use the contact information listed for more information or visit that department’s web site. More than $60,000 in scholarship awards were made in Fall 2010 at the department level.
- The Honors College and the Center for International Education also award a large number of scholarships. Please visit their websites for more information regarding the criteria and application process.