L&S Administered Scholarships
The College of Letters & Science (L&S) and its departments administer a number of scholarships and monetary awards for undergraduates and graduate students enrolled in an L&S program. Our college-wide programs include the following. Be sure to check with the department you are majoring in to view any scholarships they may have available, as well as the campus financial aid office to view campus-wide scholarships.
- New Directions Scholarship provides $3,500 for four first-year students with a declared major in any L&S area of study. This award is renewable for up to three additional years for $3,500 each year. The total package across four years of college for a student can be up to $14,000.
- Gertrude Eichstaedt Scholarship is available to students in any L&S major entering their sophomore year. Students receive $1,000 awards, and typically 8 to 10 scholarships are awarded each year.
- William F. Halloran Scholarship is awarded to a sophomore, with a strong preference for a student majoring in a Humanities field (art history, communication, English, any foreign language, philosophy). Preference is also given to students in the Honors College. Two scholarships of $1,000 each are awarded each year.
- Many department-level scholarships are also available with varying criteria. Students should use the contact information listed for more information or visit that department’s web site. More than $140,000 in scholarship awards were made in fall 2013 at the department level.
- The Honors College and the Center for International Education also award a large number of scholarships. Please visit their websites for more information regarding the criteria and application process.