How to Declare your Sociology Major/Minor

To declare your major or minor in Sociology, you will need to:

  1. Print an unofficial transcript. (Request an official transcript via your PAWS account. You will then immediately be sent an e-mail with your transcript as an attachment.
  2. Pick up an Information for the Prospective Sociology Major packet or a Minor Information sheet in the Department Office, Bolton Hall, Rm. 714.
  3. Meet with one of the Sociology Undergraduate Faculty Advisors (see list below) during their walk-in office hours to sign-up and determine your course plan. If you cannot attend walk-in advising hours, please contact one of the advisors by phone or e-mail to arrange an appointment. Please bring your unofficial transcript with you.

Sociology faculty advisors do not have regular advising hours in the summer.  Please e-mail Prof. Noelle Chesley (, Sociology Director of Undergraduate Studies, for questions or concerns or to set-up a phone or in-person meeting.