The Women's Studies Minor
The Women's Studies minor is designed for the student majoring in any discipline who wishes to complement her/his major with an additional concentration in Women's Studies.
The Women's Studies minor requires 18 credits drawn from Women's Studies core and cross-listed courses.
- Of the 18 required credits, students must complete six Humanities credits and six Social Science credits in coursework approved for Women's Studies credit.
- At least nine (9) credits in the minor must be taken in upper-division (numbered 300 or above) courses in residence at UWM.
- In addition, students must maintain a GPA of at least 2.5 in all minor courses attempted, including transfer work. Students should consult regularly with their advisor in Women's Studies about their course of study.
Students pursuing a minor in Women's Studies must complete the following:
- WMNS 200: Introduction to Women's Studies: A Social Science Perspective, 3 credits *
WMNS 201: Introduction to Women's Studies: A Humanities Perspective, 3 credits **
- WMNS 401: Global Feminisms, 3 credits *
- WMNS 410: Feminist Theory , 3 credits **
- The remaining nine (9) credits must be selected from courses that have been approved for Women's Studies credit.
* Counts toward the major's social science requirement.
** Counts toward the major's humanities requirement.
Although not required, Women’s Studies students are encouraged to complete at least three credits in the Natural Sciences and three credits in the Fine Arts that count toward Women’s Studies. See the online Schedule of Classes for the list of core (i.e., WMNS) and additional (i.e., cross-listed) Women's Studies courses offered in any given semester
To declare your Minor in Women's Studies, contact Kathy Miller-Dillon.Kathy Miller-Dillon, Undergraduate Advisor
Northwestern Quadrant B, Room 7594