Consult with the Records Manager (229-6979) to ensure that your records are scheduled for
transfer to the Archives.
- The Records Manager will need to know what types of records you propose to
transfer (e.g. subject files, committee records, personnel files, etc.) and the RRDA(s) covering your records.
- The Records Manager will also need to know how much material you have to transfer (i.e. number of
boxes or file drawers of
Preparing Records for Transfer to the Archives.
- Discard blank forms.
- Remove duplicate copies of documents; one copy is sufficient.
- Remove drafts of documents; retain only the final version unless there is none.
- Discard convenience copies of publications, reports, memos, etc., for which your office was not the originator or the office of record.
- Discard materials that have no informational value, such as, envelopes,
routing slips, phone messages, and illegible notes.
- Remove rubber bands and paper clips; use staples.
- Remove materials from ring binders and hanging folders and place in file folders; maintain the original order of the records. Transfer information from the ring binders and hanging folders to the file folders; if more than one folder is needed label as, for example, "folder 1
of 2," "folder 2 of 2," etc.
Box the Records Scheduled for Transfer to the Archives.
- Maintain the filing arrangement of the records (ie. alphabetic, numeric, chronologic, subject).
- Keep the records in their original file folders and ensure that the files are clearly labeled; include span dates. (Example: Space Planning,
- Do not over-pack or under-pack the boxes.
- Clearly label the boxes; use the form printed on one end of the box.
Complete the Records Transfer and Inventory Form.
- Fill out a copy of the Records
Transfer and Inventory Form as accurately as possible; the Archives uses the information you provide to retrieve records requested by your office.
- Provide an electronic copy of this form to the Archives at the time that
your records are transferred to the Archives.
Questions about anything on this site? Email the Records Officer or call Records Management at (414)-229-6979.