University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Home UWM Libraries

Glory Banner

UWM Records Management

Archives Transfers

In addition to management and scheduling of active records, Records Management is also responsible for archival records, i.e. those records which have reached the end of their useful office life but which retain long-term administrative, reference, or historical value. The UWM Archives both accepts records for permanent archival retention and provides reference service and records retrieval for departments wishing to temporarily recall portions of their collection.

What should I send to the Archives?

In general, the Archives is interested in material which helps to document the development of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. These materials include, but are not limited to: business correspondence, committee minutes, departmental policies and procedures, media guides and notes, project files, memoranda, final drafts of reports, and photographs. In most cases, records series likely to include historically significant material will be marked "Transfer to UW Archives" during retention scheduling. If you believe a records group should be marked for permanent retention, please make note of it to the Records Officer during the records survey.

How do I transfer records to the archives?

Fill out a Records Transfer and Inventory Form, then contact Records Management indicating that you have archival records for pickup.The Records Officer will schedule a brief survey to verify that your records should be preserved in the Archives; assuming that everything checks out, the Archives will take those records for processing at that time with a signed Transfer and Inventory Form. Please follow the Procedures for Transferring Records to the Archives to best prepare your records for transfer, taking particular note of the boxing and foldering requirements. UWM Archives will not accept unboxed materials for transfer.

Please be advised that the Records Transfer and Inventory Form constitutes a legal Deed of Gift for physical and intellectual control of the transferred records from your department to the UWM Archives. We reserve the right to weed material deemed to be not historically significant upon formal archival appraisal and processing, unless the specific RRDA associated with that records series indicates otherwise. Under certain circumstances, offices may request to be kept appraised of weeding decisions by Archives staff, or to have weeded records returned to their offices.

Can I have access to my office's records after they've been transferred to the Archives?

The UWM Archives allows offices with records in archival storage to temporarily request return of those records for reference or other use. Your office should appoint a "records courier" to arrange to pick up the requested records from the Archives reading room in Golda Meir Library W250A. Only that designated courier with proof of identification will be allowed to remove those records from the Archives. If you need to recall archival records for an extended period of time, please indicate such when you arrange the records retrieval.

UWM Archives policy only allows records to be released if the records officer has received a written request (e-mail or snail mail) from the office of origin.

Questions about anything on this site? Email the Records Officer or call Records Management at (414)-229-6979.