Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons
UWM Libraries Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons Access Policy
The Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons provides the UWM community with much-needed space and resources to support research, study, collaborative work, and social interaction. It is important that the UWM Libraries and the Learning Commons provide a welcoming and safe environment for the UWM community while continuing the Libraries’ tradition of being an important resource for non-UWM users.
Access to the Learning Commons is unrestricted for weekday hours from 7:00am to 7:00pm.
Night Access 24/5
Beginning at 7:00pm on Sunday -Thursday, access is allowed to the west wing with a photo ID, whether UWM or other form of photo identification.
- UWM Users should swipe their campus IDs to enter the Learning Commons
- UWM Users without their campus IDs will need to show a photo identification card and will be issued a day pass which allows access to the libraries and Learning Commons until 11:00pm.
- Non-UWM users will need to show a photo identification card and will be issued a day pass which allows access to the libraries and Learning Commons until 11:00pm. (This group includes Friends of the Library, community users, educators from local schools, and etc.)
Beginning at 11:00pm on Sunday - Thursday, all areas of the Libraries close, with the exception of the Learning Commons. Only UWM students, faculty and staff with valid UWM ID will be allowed to enter or remain in the building.
On Fridays and Saturdays, the Library closes at 7:00pm and 8:00pm respectively, with no restrictions on access.
ID Enforcement 24/5
As library staff clear the building to prepare for closing at 11:00pm Sunday-Thursday, they notify those remaining in the Learning Commons that they should be prepared to show a UWM ID if they are asked. IDs are systematically checked each night but will be checked anytime a user’s behavior becomes disruptive or if they are known to the library staff to be a non-UWM user. Anyone unable to produce a valid UWM ID will be required to leave the building.
Leave No Trace
- Enjoy your food and beverages but do so responsibly so our spaces are clean and pest free.
- Place your food packaging and waste in the proper receptacles and please put bottles and cans in recycling receptacles.
- Food delivery inside the building is not permitted. Delivery personnel will not be permitted to enter the building.
- Large amounts of food will not be allowed (no pizza boxes). Food should be for your personal consumption only.
- Food or beverages are not permitted in the Archives, Special Collections, and designated areas of the American Geographical Society Library
- Beverages only are permitted in the QUIET STUDY areas of the UWM Libraries (2nd Floor East Wing and Lower Level East Wing).
Group Study Room Policy
The Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons offers many group study options to facilitate group learning; four of these spaces can be reserved.
- Group study rooms are available for 2 or more people, rather than individual study.
- Reservations are limited to 4 hours total per person per room per week. If a group wants the same room longer than that, another individual from that group must make an additional reservation.
- Groups may not reserve rooms for more than 2 consecutive weeks at the same time.
- A group may stay in the room, provided another group has not reserved the room.
- A group that is more than 15 minutes late forfeits the reservation.
- Please keep the noise down so as not to disturb others.
- Clean up the room before you leave so that it is ready for the next group (erase whiteboards).
- Study rooms are only available during hours the library is open.
- EPantherID and current UWM student, faculty or staff status.
Group Study Space Policy - South Commons
Due to high demand from students for group study space, the alcoves in the South Learning Commons are now designated for 2 or more people. This will allow the resources in these spaces to be utilized by the most number of students. Please use a smaller table in the Learning Commons or consider studying in other spaces in the UWM Libraries.
- Large tables are in the hallways between wings and in the stacks.
- Quiet Study Space is available on 2nd floor east wing and lower level east wing
Laptop Power Cables Policy
- Do not allow power cables to obstruct walkways.
- Move your chair or table close to the outlet.
LCD Monitors Policy
LCD Monitors are for educational group work purposes. Do not attach gaming devices (PSP, Wii, etc) to any LCD monitor in the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons. If you are observed playing games on these monitors, you will be asked to detach your equipment and leave the area.
The Learning Commons is a collaborative research and study environment. Please be respectful of others:
- Conversation should not disturb other learning commons patrons.
- Headphones and laptop audio should be kept low.
- Cell phones conversations should take place in the foyers or library café area.
The purpose of this policy is to ensure an atmosphere conducive to shared studying and research.
Parking Policy from 12:00 AM - 6:00 AM
Union Parking Garage (accessible from Kenwood Boulevard) - FOR STUDENTS in the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons ONLY! Register your vehicle to get a daily permit from the Welcome Desk in the Learning Commons. (Permits are issued only between 12:00 AM – 6:00 AM)
Overnight Parking Policy for the Union Garage
- Permit holder must be in the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons.
- Permit valid for 1 overnight only.
- Altering of your permit will result in a parking citation.
- Vehicles parked illegally are subject to tow-away at the owner's expense.
- Permit valid for the hours between 12:00 AM (midnight) – 6:00 AM iIn the Union Parking Garage
- UW-MILWAUKEE STUDENTS ONLY.
- Permit holder will be responsible for parking fees incurred outside of the 12:00 AM-6:00 AM time.
- UWM is not responsible for any damage, theft or vandalism to vehicles parked overnight. (Park at your own risk.)
- Permit must be displayed to be considered valid.
Additional parking is available in the Sandburg Hall Parking Garage.
Visitor parking is available in the metered spaces in the Sandburg Hall Parking Garage, 24 hours a day.
From 7:00 AM – 11:00 PM the TV monitor is to remain on CNN with closed captioning, unless there is a Learning Commons event utilizing the TV. Please…Do not plug your computer into the monitor or change the channel.
Comments & Questions
Learning Commons Coordinator
Molly Susan Mathias
Or use the UWM LIbraries Suggestion Form