This page will be changing later this month to the Meta Search interface.
Within Meta Search, you can locate and search multiple resources at once, and log in to create custom search sets or save favorites for future use.
You can also connect directly to the "native interface," just as you do with the links on this page.
Resource guides, link lists, and other help pages will be moved to the Research & Course Guides site.
Resources by Subject/Major |
Good Starting Points |
New Additions |
Off Campus Access |
Off Campus URL Generator | RefWorks |
Databases by Vendor/Publisher
Click on the first letter of the name of the title you would like to search. Need help? Try the Subject Guides or Ask a Librarian.
- ABC Poli Sci/Govt. - see Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
- Dates vary;
indexes over 2,800 scholarly journals, trade journals, business magazines and newspapers,
and selected dissertations in the areas of
business, finance, marketing, and economics.
Full text of articles is
available for over 1,800 journal titles.
NOTE: ABI/Inform now includes ABI/Inform Archive, which provides access to
full-page images of substantial runs of many leading business journals, such as Barron's
(1921-present), Journal of Accountancy (1905-present, with some gaps),
Journal of Small Business Management (1963-present, with some gaps),
and more. A list
of specific journals and date coverage is available.
- 1984-present; indexes over 3,400 scholarly journals, magazines, and newspapers in the areas of business,
social sciences, humanities, general academic, general science, education, and
multi-cultural studies. Full-text is available for 2,000 journals starting with
January 1985. Guide
- Academic Universe - see LexisNexis Academic
- ACLS Humanities E-Book
[formerly ACLS History E-Book Project]
- Dates vary; over 1,000 books in most humanities disciplines. You can only read
or print online from a computer screen one page at a time.
Digital Library [Association for Computing Machinery]
- Dates vary; provides access to all ACM journals as well as selected journals
and publications of ACM affiliated organizations, including conference proceedings.
The ACM journal collection contains tables of content, abstracts, and selected
full-text of journal articles. Covers all aspects of computing.
Publications [American Chemical Society]
- Dates vary; indexing and full text for American Chemical Society journals.
American Biographical Database
- 1790-1950; biographical information, including photographs, illustrations,
and primary sources, for African Americans.
- African American Music Reference
- Dates vary; text reference, biographies, chronologies, sheet music, images, lyrics,
liner notes, and discographies which chronicle the diverse history and culture of the
African American experience through music.
- 1970-present; citations to journal articles, books (15th century to present),
and audiovisuals about food, nutrition, and most aspects of the agricultural sciences.
- The journal article citations from AIDSLINE are now included in the PubMed
version of Medline. Click on the link above to access Medline.
- African American Experience - see American Mosaic
- 1990-present; full-text database of more than 140 periodicals, journals, professional publications,
magazines, consumer newsletters and newspapers, research reports, and association
newsletters focused on complementary, alternative and integrated approaches to
health care and wellness.
- America: History and Life
- 1964-present; article abstracts and citations of reviews and dissertations
on the history and culture of the United States and Canada. Guide
- American Institute of Physics/American Physical Society - see Scitation
- American Mosaic
- Dates vary; full text of reference sources and primary documents
focusing on the history and culture of African and Latino Americans.
- American Periodicals Series
- 1740-1900; Searchable full text of over 1,500 magazines, journals, and newspapers.
- Analytical WebBase (Analytical Abstracts)
- 1980-present; a companion web database to a journal Analytical Abstracts.
Covers over 100 international journals including the full content of Analytical Abstracts from 1980 to date,
plus equipment manufacturers' application notes, standards and books. Guide
- Animal Behavior Abstracts
- One year ago-current; indexes journals and significant papers in animal behavior
and related fields. Guide
- 1984-present; indexes biomedical, physical, and social sciences review literature.
Full text. Note that the library does not pay for access to all titles. Guide
- Anthropological Literature
- Late 19th century-present (updated quarterly); indexes over 2,400 journals and
monographic series in physical, cultural, and linguistic anthropology as well
as archaeology, ethnohistory, ehtnomusicology, and folklore. Guide
- Applied Science and Technology Full Text
- 1983-present; indexes over 480 English-language scientific and technical publications.
Topics include engineering, acoustics, chemistry, computers, metallurgy, physics, plastics, telecommunications, transportation, and waste management.
Sciences and Fisheries Abstracts 1: Biological Sciences and Living Resources
- 1971-present; Basic and applied research on aquatic organisms. Abstracts cover
laboratory studies of aquatic organisms as well as research in the field. Guide
- Art Full Text
- 1984-present; indexes periodicals, yearbooks, museum bulletins, exhibition listings, and interviews in 250 key international English-language
arts and architecture publications. Guide
- Arts and Humanities Citation Index - see Web of Knowledge
- Dates vary; a digital library of approximately 550,000 images in the areas of art, architecture, the humanities,
and social sciences with a set of tools to view, present, and manage images for research and pedagogical purposes.
- Contains information for over 150,000 international and U.S. national,
regional, state, and local nonprofit membership organizations in all fields.
- ASCE [American Society of Civil Engineers] CE Database
- 1970-present; indexes all of the American Society of Civil Engineers journals,
conference proceedings, books, standards, manuals, magazines, and newsletters.
Full text is available from 30 civil engineering journals.
- ATLA with ATLASerials
- 1949-present; citations and some full text to international periodicals, books, and book chapters on religion and theological studies.
Areas covered include Biblical studies, world religions, Church history, and religious perspectives on social issues.
600 journals currently being indexed, with others not current totaling 1,500 journals.
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
- 1741-present; indexes over 2,000 journals in architecture and related subjects, such
as city planning, historic preservation, and interior design. Guide
- Dates vary; access to information resources for Wisconsin residents in cooperation
with the state's public, school, academic, and special libraries. Includes access
to over 6,000 magazines, newsletters and newspapers. Many of the titles are in
- Beilstein - see DiscoveryGate
of the History of Art
- 1990-present; indexes and abstracts art-related books, conference proceedings
and dissertations, exhibition and dealer's catalogs, and articles from over 4,000
periodicals. Continues the
International Repertory of the Literature of Art (1975-1989)
and Repertoire d'Art et d'Archeolgie (1973-1989).
and Genealogy Master Index
- Indexes any print product that includes biographical information on multiple
- Biological Abstracts [BIOSIS]
- 1990-present; citations with abstracts to over 5000 journals world wide in
the life sciences. Thesaurus with detailed subject indexing available from 1993
to date. Guide |
- Biological and Agricultural Index
- 1983-present; citations to articles in the life sciences from over 300
- BioMed Central
- 1999 - present (varies); provides a collection of free, open access, mostly peer reviewed research articles from over 100 biomedical,
medicine, health, biology and biotechnology related online journals. (Note: For a few journals, only the research content is free.)
- 2000-present; provides access to full-text articles from 72 bioscience research
journals. Covers biological, ecological, and environmental sciences.
- Dates vary; browse or search within selective full text from 42 metropolitan
business newspapers, including The Business Journal Serving Greater Milwaukee.
- 1850-present; over 1,200 plays, with information on related authors, productions
and theaters. Guide
- Black Studies Center
- Dates vary; a fully searchable gateway to Black Studies including scholarly essays, recent periodicals, and historical newspaper articles.
- Current; consists of bibliographic records for over 5 million book, audio, and video titles.
Selected titles have author biographies and full-text reviews.
Also includes data on publishers, awards, and upcoming titles.
and Irish Women's Letters and Diaries
- Dates vary; diaries, letters and other personal writings of women,
with biographical information and annotated source bibliographies. Guide
- Business Full Text
- 1982-present; indexes over 500 general business periodicals and trade journals.
Topics include management, accounting, marketing, small business, and corporate
information. Full-text is available for 300 journals starting with January 1995.
Knowledge Research (Conference Board)
- Dates vary; Searchable database of full-text research reports on the latest
issues in business management and US and global economics. Proprietary research
includes studies of Fortune 500 companies on business trends, leadership decisions,
corporate governance, productivity, and more. Economic data includes US and global
economic indicators and analysis and forecasts of regional, national, and international
economic conditions. Guide
- Business Newsbank
- 1985-December 2001; indexes articles on companies, products, and industries.
Full-text of the articles available since 1993. Articles are selected from newspapers,
business journals, and wire services, including regional and local publications.
- 1984-present; indexing and abstracts for nearly 1,800 journals covering business,
management, economics, banking, marketing, and finance. Full-text is available
for over 1,100 journals starting as far back as 1985. Updated daily. Also includes Datamonitor Company Profiles for over 10,000 U.S.
and international companies, both public and private. Guide
- Carl Uncover - see Ingenta
- Catalog of U.S. Government Publications
- 1976-present; The Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (CGP) indexes electronic and print
publications from the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of the U.S. government.
Direct links are provided to those publications that are available online.
- Current; an assortment of widely-used cataloging documentation resources.
Includes the most recent versions of titles such as Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules (AACR)
and MARC Standards.
Periodical Literature Index
- 1981-present; includes over 380,000 index citations of articles and reviews published in Roman Catholic periodicals,
Papal documents, church promulgations, and books about the Catholic faith that are authored by Catholics
and/or produced by Catholic publishers. Currently indexes over 300 journals.
- Census Data (2000) via American FactFinder
- The Census Bureau provides the primary source for the U.S. 2000 Census records. Includes the 2000 Census
of Population & Housing, the 1997 Economic Census, and the American Community
Survey. American FactFinder Guide |
Census 2000 Guide
- Census Data (1990)
- 1990 Census of Population & Housing. Summary tape files are available online.
Library CD-ROMs () are available for block statistics. Guide
- Chemical Abstracts - see SciFinder Scholar
- Chemistry Central
- Dates vary; peer-reviewed open access research articles in chemistry published by,
or in cooperation with, BioMed Central.
- Chicago Defender - see ProQuest Historical Newspapers
- Chicago Tribune - see ProQuest Historical Newspapers
- Child Abuse, Child Welfare & Adoption Database
- 1965-present; indexes primarily English language books, journal articles,
conference papers, and other sources on child abuse, its prevention and treatment.
Includes sexual, emotional, and psychological abuse, and child neglect.
- CIA World Factbook - see World Factbook
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text
[Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature] Tutorial
- Dates vary; CINAHL Plus with Full Text provides indexing for over 3,000 journals from the fields
of nursing and allied health, with indexing back to 1937. CINAHL Plus with Full
Text also contains searchable cited references for more than 1,155 journals and
provides full text for hundreds of journals, plus legal cases, clinical
innovations, critical paths, drug records, research instruments and clinical
trials. PDF backfiles to 1937 are also included.
- Civil Engineering Database - see ASCE [American Society of Civil Engineers] CE Database
- Classical Music Library
- Dates vary; Streaming audio access to more than 35,000 individual tracks from 32 labels, specializing in contemporary and women composers.
Includes program notes and direct links to some citations and full text articles.
Every two weeks, one work is available for download.
E-mail alerts are available.
See the Compatibility guide for software requirements.
Please note: UWM has only 3 simultaneous users for this service. If you cannot get in, please try again later.
- Classification Web - see Library of Congress Classification Web
- Clinical Pharmacology - see Health Source: Consumer Edition
- Clinical Reference Systems - see Health Source: Consumer Edition
- Originated in 2000; provides patients, family members, health care professionals, and members of the public
easy access to regularly updated information on thousands of federally and privately supported clinical trials
for a wide range of diseases and conditions. The U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), through its National
Library of Medicine (NLM), has developed this site in collaboration with all NIH Institutes and the Food and Drug
- Cold Regions Bibliography (CRREL)
- 1950s-present; contains over 220,000 bibliographic records on Antarctica, cold regions science and technology.
of Computer Science Bibliographies
- Dates vary; provides access to 1,400 bibliographies of literature in computer
science. The collection contains more than 1.4 million references to journal articles,
conference papers, and technical reports; many records include abstracts and links
to full-text documents; updated monthly.
- Columbia Gazetteer of the World
- Current; an encyclopedia of geographical places and physical and/or cultural features. Features worldwide coverage and detailed information.
International Affairs Online (CIAO)
- 1991-present; Research in the field of international affairs,
including full-text documents such as working papers and policy briefs.
- Dates vary; abstracts of articles published in the primary professional
literature of the communication(s) field.
- 1970-present; an author and title index to the core literature of the communication
discipline and communication related topics.
Students, Faculty, and Staff at UW-Milwaukee may contact Library
Automation to receive the ComIndex client and activation code.
& Mass Media Complete
- Dates vary; Index of articles in communication and mass media, communication sciences and disorders. Includes some full text.
- Current; Contains COS Funding Opportunities, a large research funding database;
and COS Expertise, a directory of current researchers and their activities.
- Compendex - see Engineering Village 2
and Information Systems Abstracts
- One year ago-current; citations and abstracts to 805 core journals and conference
- Conference Board - see Business Knowledge Research
- Biographical and bibliographical information and references on more than 120,000
U.S. and international authors. Guide
- Contemporary Women's Issues | Tutorial
- 1992-present; an international, full text database of articles from women-focused
sources. Topics include education, health, women's legal status, reproductive
rights, and feminism. See the tutorial for instructions on limiting your LexisNexis
search to Contemporary Women's Issues items.
- Dates vary; indexing and abstracts for 4,000 scholarly publications, trade
journals, and pamphlets covering U.S. and international business topics. Full-text
is available for over 1,300 titles. Also includes Datamonitor Company Profiles for over 10,000 U.S.
and international companies, both public and private.
- 1991-present; Reports from Congressional Quarterly providing analysis on issues in the news.
- 1968-present; abstracts and citations of international journals, books, reports, dissertations and unpublished papers on criminology and related disciplines.
- Datamonitor Company Profiles - see Business Source Elite
Sanborn Maps (Wisconsin)
- Large-scale plans containing data that can be used to estimate the potential
risk for urban structures. This includes information such as the outline of each
building, the size, shape and construction materials, heights, and function of
structures, location of windows and doors. The maps also give street names, street
and sidewalk widths, property boundaries, building use, and house and block numbers.
- DIRLINE - Directory of [Health] Information Resources Online
- Dates vary; National Library of Medicine's online database containing location and descriptive information
on over 8,000 information resources including organizations, research resources, projects, and databases
concerned with health and biomedicine.
- 1771-present; offers two comprehensive chemical databases Crossfire Beilstein (organic) and Crossfire Gmelin (inorganic/organometallic),
and MDL Compound Index on the Internet. The MDL Crossfire commander is also available via the Start button in the Program menu in the library building.
UW-Madison Search Help |
Crossfire Commander 7.0 Quick User Guide
& Theses [formerly Dissertation Abstracts]
- 1861-present; citations and abstracts for every doctoral dissertation completed in
the U.S. at accredited institutions. Includes some master's theses and foreign
language dissertations. A preview of the first 24 pages of most dissertations is available.
A customized interface to search only UWM dissertations
is also available (including the full-text of UWM dissertations from 1997 to present),
as are complete lists of all UWM theses and dissertations.
- DOE Information Bridge - see Information Bridge [U. S. Department of Energy
Encounters in North America: Peoples, Cultures, and the Environment
- 1534-1850; Full text documents on the relationships among peoples and the
environment in North America.
English Books Online
- Over 125,000 titles listed in Pollard & Redgrave's Short-Title Catalogue
(1475-1640), Wing's Short-Title Catalogue (1641-1700), and the Thomason Tracts
- Present; Encyclopedia of Animals. Basic information on the nature and habitat of familiar animals.
Includes some pictures.
- 1969-present; indexes the world's economic literature, produced by the
American Economic Association. It includes coverage of more than 450 major
journals as well as articles in collective volumes (essays, proceedings,
etc.), books, book reviews, dissertations, and working papers. Guide
- Education Full Text
- 1983-present; indexes more than 650 English-language periodicals and yearbooks, covering all levels and aspects of education.
Abstracts are included since 1994. Guide
- eHRAF Ethnography - see Human Relations Area Files (HRAF)
- Encyclopedia of Associations - see Associations Unlimited
- EndNote Web - see Web of Knowledge
- 1969-present; citations, many with abstracts, to over 5,000 journals,
technical reports, and conferences in engineering fields. Guide
- ERIC via CSA
ERIC via EBSCOHost
- 1966-present. Source for information on all aspects of education for all age groups,
including counseling, tests, and measurement. ERIC indexes journal articles, books, theses, curriculi, conference papers,
standards and guidelines. Guide | Tutorial
To retrieve ERIC Documents:
- Search the links above for ERIC Documents (ED) and journal articles (EJ), with full-text links when available.
- Use the ERIC Database Full-text ERIC Documents, 1993-present.
- CD-ROM version [1966-2000] (Ask at the Ask a Librarian Desk for assistance.)
- Approximately 80% of ERIC documents, 1966-July 2004, are available on microfiche in the Curriculum Library, 2nd floor, East Wing.
- 1990-present; a full-text comprehensive collection of over 250 newspapers,
magazines and journals of the ethnic and minority press.
- FIS Online - see Mergent Online
- 2007; A database of all active grant-making foundations in the state of Wisconsin.
The listings can be browsed by category, officers, or searched by keyword.
The foundation profiles include contact information, total assets, grants paid, and areas of interest.
& Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia
- Present; Over 25,000 encyclopedia articles covering a variety of subject areas (no illustrations).
Search by title if you have a specific topic. Guide
- Current; Research reports and analysis on the use of Information Technology in all disciplines.
Topics covered include technology and telecommunications, hardware, software and systems, services,
IT management, market data and forecasts, and vertical industry issues. (ePanther ID required for access.)
- 1970-present; full-text collection of international journals, magazines, newsletters,
regional publications, special reports and conference proceedings devoted to women's
and gender issues. Guide
Science Full Text
- 1984-present; more than 280 journals and magazines from the U.S. and
Great Britain, covering such subjects as anthropology, astronomy, biology,
computers, medicine, and health. Full-text is available for 61 journals
starting with January 1995. Guide
- 1980-present; indexes worldwide literature on geography, geology, ecology,
and related disciplines. It includes over 2,000 journals, books, conference proceedings
and reports. Guide
- GEOBIB (Online Geographical Bibliography)
- 1985-2005; an online bibliography to the literature of geography. It contains entries appearing in Current Geographical Publications.
- 1785-present (1933-present for non-North American coverage); Geology and geoscience journal articles,
books, maps, conference papers, reports, and theses (over 2 million references).
Also includes references to all publications of the U.S. Geological Survey. Guide
- Gerritsen Collection
- 1543-1945; a collection of books and periodicals reflecting the evolution of a feminist
consciousness and women's rights. Contains over two million page images, searchable by keyword.
- Gmelin - see DiscoveryGate
- Google Scholar
- Dates vary; records and citations from Google's Web index calculated to be scholarly.
Although useful for most topics, it still contains a small subset of available publications;
other databases on this page will have additional items on your topic.
Note: You never have to pay to retrieve results.
The full text of some results are linked, but for others the
Linker must be used to track them down. Firefox users can install our
Google Scholar Find It! Extension for help with this step.
- GPO Access
- A gateway to databases of information from all three branches of the Federal Government.
GPO Access also provides links to some of the most commonly used government publications available on the World Wide Web.
- GPO Monthly Catalog - see Catalog of U.S. Government Publications
- 1948-present; information covering all aspects of human impact to the environment;
connections between the environment and a variety of disciplines such as agriculture, education, law, health and technology.
- Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians - see New Grove II
Online (Hispanic American Periodicals Index)
- 1970-present; covers political, economic, social, and cultural issues
of Central and South America, Mexico, the Caribbean as well as Hispanics
in the United States. It includes citations to articles, books reviews,
and documents indexed in over 500 international journals. Guide
Source: Consumer Edition
- 1984-present; searchable full text for about 300 journals covering health
topics including the medical sciences, food sciences and nutrition, childcare,
sports medicine, and general health, as well as abstracts and indexing for over
300 general health, nutrition, and professional health care publications.
Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
- 1975-present; 600 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines.
Also featured are abstracts and indexing for over 850 journals.
- The journal article citations from HealthSTAR (Health Services Technology,
Administration and Research) are now included in the PubMed version of Medline.
Click on the link above to access Medline. The citations for books, book chapters,
technical reports, and conference papers previously found in HealthStar are included
in the National Library of Medicine's online catalog, LOCATORplus.
- HighWire Press
- 1948-present; indexing and selected full text to over 800 journals in the life sciences, medicine,
physical and social sciences. Guide
- Hispanic American Periodicals Index - see HAPI Online
- Historical Abstracts
- 1955-present; article abstracts from over 2,000 journals, citations of books, and dissertations on
the history of the world from 1450 to the present. Excludes the U. S. and Canada.
- History E-book Project - see ACLS History E-Book Project
- Hoover's Company Records (ProQuest)
- Company profiles for over 40,000 U.S. and international companies, both public and private.
- Human Relations Area Files (HRAF)
- eHRAF World Cultures
Dates vary; a cross-cultural database that contains full-text materials, such
as books, journal articles, manuscripts, reports, and dissertations on world cultures.
eHRAF currently consists of documents pertaining to 90 culture groups (about 1/4
of the HRAF collection), covering both North American immigrant groups and selected
pre-industrial cultures from around the world.
- 1984-present; more
than 530 periodicals in archaeology, art, classics, film, folklore, journalism,
linguistics, music, the performing arts, philosophy, religion, world history,
and world literature. Full-text is available for 185 journals starting
with 1983. Guide
- 1988-present, 1950-present for selected titles; full-text access to IEEE transactions, journals, magazines,
conference proceedings, and standards.
- 1906-present; covers publications (over 3,400 titles) on all aspects of Islam and the Muslim world including history,
beliefs, societies, cultures, languages and literatures. Guide
to Current Urban Documents (Full-text available for Region III)
- 1995-present; guide to reports generated by local government agencies
and metropolitan and regional planning agencies in approximately 500 cities
in the United States and Canada. The full text of the documents is available
for selected municipalities in 13 states in the Midwest region ("Region
- Index to Jewish Periodicals
- 1988-present; provides a comprehensive guide to English-language articles, book reviews, and feature stories in more
than 160 journals devoted to Jewish thought, contemporary Jewish Middle Eastern affairs.
to Legal Periodicals & Books
- 1981- present; indexes over 970 legal periodicals and some 2,000 law books,
including law reviews, bar association journals, and institutes in all
areas of jurisprudence. Guide
- Index Translationum
- Current; UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) publishes a free,
web-accessible database of literature in translation.
Use this resource to identify translated works, then search the
Library Catalog for availability.
The database can be searched by original language, target language, translator, keyword and other options.
The print predecessor is available in the UWM Libraries (Z6514 .T7 I42).
Bridge [U. S. Department of Energy]
- 1995-present; over 58,000 full-text DOE research and development reports.
Reports included in the database cover a wide variety of subjects in the sciences,
including physics, chemistry, materials, biology, environmental sciences, energy
technologies, engineering, computer and information science, and renewable energy.
[Formerly Carl Uncover]
- Current; free abstracting service covering over 29,000 scholarly journals
in many academic fields including engineering, library science, medicine,
science, and technology. Full-text of selected journal articles is available
to signed in UWM users.
Individual users can order articles for a fee. Free e-mail alert service is also available.
of Physics Journals
- Dates vary; indexing and full text including archives of scholarly physics journals.
- Dates vary; approximately 32,000 statistical time series on all aspects of international and domestic
finance for more than 200 countries. Topics covered include interest and exchange rates, balance of payments,
world trade, money and banking, and national accounts. Guide
Index to Music Periodicals (IIMP)
- 1874-present; provides citations and abstracts to more than 400 current
music periodicals from over 20 countries. It also includes retrospective coverage
from 99 periodicals dating back as far as 1874. A CD-ROM version is also available
on library computers via the Start menu-ask a librarian for assistance.
- Index to articles relating to the Middle Ages (400-1500 AD).
Also includes an online version of the International Encyclopaedia for the Middle Ages,
the Lexikon des Mittelalters Online, and Library of Latin Texts.
- International Repertory of the Literature of Art - see Bibliography of the History of Art
Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory & Criticism
- Major landmarks of criticism from classical antiquity to the present day,
including entries by literary critics, philosophers, political theorists, anthropologists,
psychologists, and psychiatrists.
- Back to 1800; does not include recent years; full text, searchable
backfiles of over 600 core scholarly journals in the humanities, social sciences
- Knight Ridder Collection - see McClatchy-Tribune Collection
- Knovel Scientific and Engineering Online References
- Dates vary; a collection of over 600 handbooks, dictionaries and proceedings in technical disciplines.
Full text is searchable by keywords and numeric property values. Contains interactive tables, graphs, and equations.
Data from tables can be manipulated and further imported in an Excel spreadsheet.
Field Guide | Guide
Curriculum Development Library
- Curriculum information on a variety of subjects covered in PreK-12 and Adult
Basic Education. Over 7,000 documents. Guide
- Latin America Data Base News Bulletins
- Current; three weekly news digests covering Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America.
- Latino American Experience - see American Mosaic
Academic [Formerly Academic Universe]
- Dates vary; full-text of over 4,000 current events/news publications, legal and
government information, and business news and corporate information.
- LexisNexis Statistical
[formerly Statistical Universe]
- Search summaries of statistical publications, then link to the full-text of
selected publications on Statistical Universe and government Web sites.
- Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts
- 1966-present; Subject coverage includes librarianship, classification, cataloging, bibliometrics,
online information retrieval, information management, search engines, printed and electronic information sources,
the information industry, scholarly communication, and electronic publishing. LISTA indexes journal articles
from more than 600 publications plus books, research reports, and conference proceedings.
Literature and Information Science
- 1984-present; indexes articles and book reviews from 387 journals in the field
of library and information science. Books, chapters in collected works
such as conference proceedings, library school theses, and pamphlets are
also indexed. Guide
of Congress Classification Web
- Current; The United States Library of Congress Classification Outline, Schedules and Subject Headings.
and Language Behavior Abstracts
- 1973-present; all aspects of the study of language including
phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax and semantics. Complete coverage
is also given to various fields of linguistics including descriptive,
historical, comparative, theoretical and geographical linguistics. Over
330,000 records. Guide
- Dates vary; Indexes and full text for poems, short stories, plays, speeches and essays.
Entries include biographies, author pictures and entry explanations. Guide
- Listen online to over 500 hand-picked complete albums.
Covers music from all genres including, but not limited to, classical, jazz, and world music.
- Current; Basic biographical information on over 1 million of the most accomplished individuals from all fields of endeavor.
Ultra - School Edition
- 1975-present; Full text for over 550 general interest and current events magazines.
- 1988-present; abstracts and indexing for nearly 4,700 periodicals. Subjects
covered include general reference, business, health, and multi-cultural issues.
Full-text is available for over 2,000 journals starting with January 1990.
- Dates vary; Full text of over 200 books in materials science.
- 1940-present; an index to the international research literature in mathematics,
math-related research in computer science, statistics, econometrics, and
other disciplines, produced by the American Mathematical Society.
Covers nearly 1800 journals and has records for over 330,000 articles.
| Help Index
Collection [Formerly Knight Ridder Collection]
- Last 90-day full-text archive of approximately 300 newspapers from the McClatchy-Tribune wire service.
- MD Consult
- Dates vary; includes over 50 medical textbooks, articles from more than 70 clinical journals, practice guidelines,
drug information, 5,000 patient education handouts, CME, and daily medical updates.
- MDL CrossFire Commander - see DiscoveryGate
- MEDLINE via PubMed
MEDLINE via EBSCOHost
- 1950-present; indexes over 4,800 journals in medicine, nursing, dentistry,
veterinary medicine and the preclinical sciences.
PubMed is the National Library of Medicine's search service that provides
access to over 14 million citations in MEDLINE, and other related databases,
with links to participating online journals. Guide |
- Originated in 1998; National Library of Medicine's selective list of authoritative health information sources from the National
Institutes of Health and other government and professional organizations in the U.S. Updated nightly, it has over 4,000
articles on various diseases, symptoms, drugs and procedures, as well as interactive health tutorials, research news,
local resources, directories of hospitals and physicians, clinical trials and links to MEDLINE for journal citations.
- Produced by the Burros Institute of Mental Measurements at the University of Nebraska.
Provides descriptive information (e.g., test purpose, publisher, pricing) and edited review(s)
written by leading content area experts. To be included in the Mental Measurements Yearbook,
a test must be commercially available, be published in the English language, and be new or
revised since it last appeared in the series. Coverage is from Vol. 9 of The Mental Measurements
Yearbook forward and content is updated monthly. Print volumes available from 1940-2007 Ref Z5814.P8 R93.
Online [formerly FIS Online, Moody's Company Data]
- Financial statements and company descriptions for over 15,000 U.S. publicly-traded
& Geoastrophysical Abstracts
- 1974-present; Indexes literature on meteorology, climatology, atmospheric chemistry and physics,
astrophysics, hydrology, glaciology, physical oceanography and environmental sciences. Guide
- 1989-present [full text], 1984-present [abstracts]; provides full text for
over 150 magazines, and indexing and abstracts for nearly 200 magazines covering
general topics appropriate for middle and jr. high school students.
& Government Collection
- Dates vary; Full text for over 400 military related periodicals and general
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- 1990-1996 (see Wisconsin Newsstand for 1994-present).
- MLA Bibliography
- 1926-present; indexes international scholarly materials, including over 4,400 journals, books, working papers,
and conference proceedings on language, literature, linguistics, and folklore.
It is updated 10 times a year. Guide
- MLA Directory of Periodicals
- 2003; lists over 4,400 periodicals in the areas of literature, language, linguistics, and folklore thatare covered regularly in the MLA International Bibliography. The directory provides addresses, advertising rates,and information about submissions for publication.
- Monthly Catalog - see Catalog of U.S. Government Publications
- Moody's Company Data - see Mergent Online
- Industry news and directory.
Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) Working Papers
- Nov. 1994-present; index to full-text collection of working papers in the
fields of economics and finance.
- National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
- Dates vary; includes databases, research and current general information about substance abuse prevention,
intervention, and treatment policies, programs, and practices. Also includes the
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Data Archive.
Criminal Justice Reference Service (NCJRS)
- 1972-present; citations and abstracts to federal, state, and local government
documents, books, research reports, journal articles, and unpublished research
in the field of criminal justice. Some publications are available in full text.
- National Trade Data Bank (NTDB) - see STAT-USA
- Naxos Music Library
- Over 85,000 tracks of classical, jazz, folk and world music - the entire Naxos Catalogue online, streaming at high-quality 64K sound and lower resolution for dial-up users. Please Note: The UWM Libraries has 10 simultaneous users for this service. If you cannot get in please try again later.
- Dates vary; a collection thousands of electronic texts. You can only read
or print online from a computer screen one page at a time. See the Electronic
Books page for more information.
- New Grove Dictionary of Music & Musicians 2nd edition (2001). Includes the Dictionary
of Opera (1992) and Dictionary of Jazz (2002). Over 29,000 articles.
- New Testament Abstracts
- 1985-present; covers research on the New Testament and its historical milieu. The database contains article abstracts,
review abstracts, book abstracts, and software abstracts. Currently indexes over 500 periodicals.
- New York Times - see ProQuest Historical Newspapers
- Newsbank Newsfile
- 1996-December 2001; full text news resource covering current issues and events
from over 500 U.S. and Canadian newspapers, news sources and international news wires.
- Dates vary; Full text of older newspapers in PDF. Over 23 million fully searchable pages
representing over 400 cities and towns.
- Newspaper Abstracts - see ProQuest Newspapers
American Immigrant Letters, Diaries and Oral Histories
- 1840-present; over 340 authors and approximately 10,000 pages of primary source information.
Includes letters and diaries, oral histories, interviews, and other personal narratives. Guide
American Women's Letters and Diaries
- Colonial-1950; 150,000 pages of diaries and letters from over 600 women. Guide
- Nursing & Allied Health Collection: Basic
- Dates vary; Designed for nursing and allied health professionals, students, educators and researchers,
this database provides full text for nearly 100 journals covering the areas of nursing, biomedicine, health sciences,
consumer health and allied health disciplines. All full text titles are indexed in CINAHL.
- Nursing Consult
- Dates vary; Designed for the clinical nurse, nurse administrators, nursing faculty and students.
It contains drug information, patient handouts, full text of some nursing and medical journals
(back to 2001), health reference books, nursing news, evidence-based content, clinical updates and more.
- Old Testament Abstracts
- 1978-present; database features indexing and abstracts for journal articles (450 journals),
monographs, multi-author works, and software related to Old Testament studies.
Topics covered include antiquities, archaeology, biblical theology, philology and much more.
- OmniFile Full Text Mega
- Dates vary; A multi-disciplinary database providing the complete content-indexing,
abstracts, and full text-from five of Wilson's full-text databases: General Science
Full Text, Humanities Full Text, Readers' Guide Full Text, Social Sciences Full
Text, Wilson Business Full Text.
- Oxford African American Studies Center
- Dates vary; Full-text articles from Africana, The Encyclopedia of African American History, Black Women in America, African American National Biography,
and several other African American reference works.
- Guide to the meaning, history, and pronunciation of over half a million words,
both present and past. Includes 2.5 million quotations from a wide range of international
English language sources.
International [Public Affairs Information Service]
- 1972-present, with a separate PAIS Archive
for 1915-1976; provides access to literature on world public affairs, public
and social policies, international relations, and world politics. Indexes more
than 3,600 journals, books, government documents, statistical resources, research
reports of public and private organizations, pamphlets, and selected Internet
materials; updated quarterly. Guide
- Paper of Record
- Dates vary; full text of historical newspapers from the early 1800s to the mid 1900s. Free registration required.
- 1940-present. Indexing and abstracts from books and journals of philosophy
and related fields. It covers the areas of ethics, aesthetics, social philosophy,
political philosophy, epistemology, and metaphysic logic as well as material on
the philosophy of law, religion, science, history, education, and language. Guide
- 1970-present. Physical education and related subjects, including sport
law, kinesiology, motor learning, recreation, standardized fitness tests, sports
equipment, business and marketing, coaching and training, sport psychology, health
education, and physical therapy. Covers peer-reviewed journals, report literature,
conference proceedings, trade magazines, patents, articles from the popular press,
and many other publications. Guide
- 1871-present, Published International Literature On Traumatic Stress.
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other mental-health sequelae of traumatic events.
- 1986-present; Over 14,000 surveys conducted by more than 1,000 polling organizations
in the United States and more than 80 other countries.
- One year ago-current; citations and abstracts for more than 2,000 journals, newsletters
and proceedings in the areas of air pollution, marine pollution, freshwater pollution,
sewage and wastewater treatment, waste management, land pollution, toxicology
and health, noise, radiation, environmental action. Current and back issues are available
in print at (REF) TD 180 .P6x. Guide
- Pre-CINAHL - see CINAHL
- 1989-present [full text], 1984-present [abstracts]; provides full text for
more than 60 children's magazines, over 100 children's pamphlets, and indexing and
abstracts for over 80 magazines designed for the elementary school student.
- Primary Sources in U.S. History
- Dates vary; contains full text primary documents as well as guides to microfilm
collections in African American Studies, Presidential Studies, and Women's
(Publicaciones y Revistas Sociales y Humanísticas)
- Dates vary; Full-text scholarly journals in the social sciences and humanities covering
Hispanic and Latin America and the Caribbean Basin. Subjects include Anthropology, Business,
Economics, History, Literature, Political Science and Sociology. English, Spanish and
Portuguese content is available. Bibliographic records are based on the Hispanic American
Periodical Index of 500 journals.
- 1965-present; Full-text of more than 550 full text education journals, including more than 350 peer-reviewed titles.
- Recent years; selected journals go back to 1993. Project Muse provides access
to the full-text of over 220 scholarly journals in the arts and humanities, social
sciences, and mathematics.
Historical Newspapers - Chicago Tribune
- 1849-1985; Searchable full text.
Historical Newspapers - The Chicago Defender
- 1905 - 1975; Searchable full text.
Historical Newspapers - The New York Times
- 1851-three years ago (For more recent articles, use ProQuest Newspapers); Searchable full text starting with the first issue.
Full image digital reproductions for every page from every available issue.
Includes display and classified ads; comics and cartoons; photos, maps and graphics; editorials and commentary.
- 1986-present; Full text
of over 550 U.S. and international news sources. Includes coverage of over 150
major U.S. and international newspapers such as The New York Times and the Times
of London. Guide
- PsycINFO with PsycARTICLES
[formerly PsychLIT, aka Psychological Abstracts]
- 1887-present (selected full text via PsycARTICLES 1987-present);
provides citations to journal articles, book chapters, technical reports, dissertations, and other
documents in the field of psychology and related disciplines, such as linguistics, law, business, and anthropology. PsycINFO
covers the academic, research, and practice literature in psychology.
It includes over one million citations and summaries,and is updated monthly.
Many articles found in PsycINFO are available online via the PsycARTICLES companion service.
Look for the "Linked Full Text" option. Guide
- Public Administration Abstracts
- 1950s-present; bibliographic records covering essential areas related to public administration,
including public administration research, public administration theory, and other areas of key relevance to the discipline.
- Public Affairs Information Service International - see PAIS International
- PubMed - see MedLine
Guide Full Text
- 1983-present; indexes over 360 popular periodicals published in the U.S. and
Canada. Includes current events, news, and many other subject areas. Full-text
is available for most journals starting with January 1994. Guide
- ReferenceUSA: U.S. Businesses
- Current; detailed information on more than 14 million U.S. businesses.
- RefWorks is a web-based tool that helps you manage citations, create bibliographies,
and import references from databases. It can convert stored citations into formatted bibliographies.
Formatting styles include APA, Chicago, and MLA.
Quick Start Guide
- Dates vary; Indexes 75 business journals, newspapers and newswires from
major metropolitan areas within the United States.
Full text is available for more than 50 titles.
- Repertoire d'Art et d'Archeolgie - see Bibliography of the History of Art
- 1967-present; Published by the Repertoire International de Litterature Musicale,
RILM is an international bibliography of scholarly writings on music and related
disciplines including original language titles, title translations in English;
provides full bibliographic information. Over 500 scholarly journals and a variety
of other publications are represented. Guide
- RSC (Royal Society of Chemistry) Journals
- Dates vary; the historic resource contains all articles published by the RSC (and its forerunner societies) from 1841 to 2004.
The articles are accessible via issue contents
and by specific searches of the bibliographic information.
A Digital Object Identifier (DOI) link is used as an access route to the full text of articles.
- 1906-present; Over 135,000 bibliographic citations for all Society of Automotive Engineers publications,
as well as citations for documents from other mobility publishers worldwide.
Includes full-text of technical papers published from 1998 to present.
- Safari Books Online
- Dates vary; Full text of books from technology publishers.
- Sanborn Maps - see Digital Sanborn Maps
- Science Citation Index - see Web of Knowledge
- Dates vary; Indexes over 2,000 peer-reviewed journals and hundreds of book
series from Elsevier in the areas of physical sciences and engineering, life
and health sciences, social sciences and humanities.
For more information about recent changes to Science Direct access, see
Science Direct Web Editions Discontinued.
- SciFinder Scholar [Chemical Abstracts]
- 1907-present; A research tool for accessing
information in Chemical Abstracts databases. Covers all areas of chemistry and related scientific disciplines.
Indexes of more than 9,000 journals, including cover-to-cover of 1,500 key chemical journals (1994-), patents,
conference proceedings, technical reports, books, and dissertations. |
[Only UW-Milwaukee students, faculty and staff are eligible to use and download a SciFinder client.
Contact Library Automation to obtain the program.
The client can only be used from a UWM computer or while dialed into the UWM modem pool.]
- 1961- present; full-text journals, magazines, conference proceedings and standards published by the
American Institute of Physics and its member societies in the areas of physics, astronomy, electronics,
civil engineering, computer science and associated disciplines.
Women Poets of the Romantic Period
vary; 60 volumes of romantic poetry and contemporary critical reviews.
Sciences Full Text
- 1983-present; indexes more than 600 international, English-language periodicals
in sociology, anthropology, geography, economics, political science, and
law. Full-text is available for 169 journals starting with January 1995.
- Social Sciences Citation Index - see Web of Knowledge
- 1980-present; citations and abstracts to current research focused on social
work, human services, and related areas, including social welfare, social policy, and community
development. Covers over 1,500 serial publications.
- 1963-present; provides citations and abstracts to journal articles, conference
papers, books and dissertations in the field of sociology and related
disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences. It covers over 1,700
publications, and is updated monthly.
of Criminal Justice Statistics
- Present; data from more than 100 sources about all aspects of criminal
justice in the United States. Over 600 tables.
- U.S. business, economic and trade statistics, from the Federal government.
Password required - please ask for assistance at the Ask a Librarian Desk.
- Statistical Universe - see LexisNexis Statistical
- 1984-present; Provides indexing and abstracts for more than 270 of the most popular teacher and administrator journals and magazines to assist professional educators.
- Dates vary; information on children's literature authors, activity, discussion guides, and related links.
E-Mail registration (Under "Sign In") is required to view results.
- Tests in Print
- A bibliography to commercially available tests that are currently in print in English.
- TRIS [Transportation Research Information Service]
- 1960-present; provides over 500,000 bibliographic records covering transportation research published in books, journal articles, technical reports and other media.
- Twentieth Century Advice Literature:
North American Guides on Race, Gender, Sex, and the Family
- Dates vary;
Searchable handbooks, manuals, textbooks, etiquette guides, self-help books, instructional pamphlets,
and how-to books that illustrate both how Americans actually behaved and how they felt they ought to behave.
The collection provides a window into American social history by bringing together the instructional, prescriptive, behavioral, and etiquette literature
that defined standards of personal conduct for millions of Americans and reflected the prevailing social mores across the twentieth century.
- Current; Ulrich's Periodicals Directory.
Contains nearly a quarter-million records of serial publications.
- Uncover - see Ingenta
- Urban Studies Abstracts
- 1980-present; Bibliographic records covering essential areas related to urban studies,
including urban affairs, community development, and urban history.
of Knowledge - Tutorial
- 1987-present; includes three databases within the Web of Science platform:
Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Arts & Humanities Citation Index. It
indexes more than 8,000 peer-reviewed journals, providing complete bibliographic
data and author abstracts. Also includes ISIHighlyCited.com, which lists
the most influential scientific authors, and
EndNote Web, an online bibliographic citation manager.
- Full-text access to law cases, federal and state, legal subject guides, law
reviews, statutes and administrative materials, legislative materials
and legal encyclopedias. Guide
- Who's Who - see Marquis Who's Who
- Current; a community-built encyclopedia with over 2,000,000 articles.
Note that because articles can be "vandalized," information on Wikipedia is not always accurate.
As with other encyclopedias, however, it is sometimes a good starting point in the research process.
- Dates vary, most titles 1991-present, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 1995-present.
Full text of several Wisconsin newspapers including Madison Capital Times, Wisconsin
State Journal, and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, with selected coverage of other
regional sources. Guide
and Social Movements
- 1600-2000; Original documents and historical analysis pertaining to Women and Social Movements.
- 1974-present (dates vary by database); composite of ten contributing databases
including Women's Studies Abstracts, Popline's subset on women, and publications
from the UW System Women's Studies Librarian. Indexes journal articles,
books, book reviews, and audiovisual materials relating to women's studies,
women's issues, and gender-focused scholarship. Guide
- 1000 BC - present; OCLC catalog of books, Web resources, and other
material worldwide. Over 52 million records in over 400 languages. Guide
- World Factbook
- Current; country profiles for each nation, including history, people, government, economy, military, industry, flags, and maps.
Political Science Abstracts
- 1975-present; provides citations, abstracts, and indexing of the international
serials literature in political science and its complementary fields,
including international relations, law, and public administration / policy.
Includes the merged backfiles of Political Science Abstracts, 1975-2000,
and ABC POL SCI, 1984-2000. Guide