ETHNIC NEWSWATCH QUICK GUIDE
Ethnic NewsWatch is a collection of the newspapers, magazines, and journals of the ethnic and minority press, most of which are available full text online. Articles published from 1990 onward span a history of nearly 150 years in areas such as business, literature, history, and ethnic/cultural studies.
- Search for articles by entering keywords in the search box and clicking on "Search." Combine terms with the Boolean operators and, or, not.
- Limit the type of articles retrieved to full text, scholarly journals, or biographical articles by making this choice from the options given.
- Limit by specified date options, e.g., last 3 months, last 3 years.
- Limit the search to choice of ethnic group, e.g., Arab/Middle Eastern, Hispanic, European/East European.
- To further limit the search, choose an option from More Search Options.
- Click on the "Advanced" tab at the top.
- Advanced search offers the Basic Search features and the More Search Options with multiple search boxes to combine fields.
- Special search fields include:
- Author � All attributed writers, including syndicated columnists and other contributors, in the database.
- Subject � Use a controlled thesaurus term. Either browse terms or enter keywords in the space provided. Click on "Browse Topics" above the search boxes to search or view the full thesaurus.
- Document Language � Limit search to articles written in either English or Spanish -- based on the language of the publication. None of the articles are translated.
- Document Type � Interviews, book reviews, editorials, obituaries, feature articles, etc.
- Limit the search to scholarly journals, full text only, or biographical articles.
- Limit further by use of the More Search Options listed:
- The Results list contains the full citation of each item (title of the article, author, source, volume, issue, and year of publication).
- Click on an underlined title to display the citation, assigned subject terms, number of words in the article, and the full text of the article, or click on "Full Text" below the citation. For articles that are not full text, click on "Abstract" to view an abstract of the article.
- The list of results can be limited to type of publication (e.g., scholarly journals, magazines) by clicking the appropriate tab above the list.
- From within an article, click on "Back to Results" at the top of the entry to return to the results list.
- Entries of interest can be marked and put into a separate folder/list. This list of selected items can be viewed, downloaded, printed, or emailed. Click on the "My Research" tab at the top to retrieve this list.
Print/Save/Email Individual Entries
- Print or Email individual articles by clicking the "Print" or "Email" button at the top of the article.
- To Email an article, select a format option from the options given. Fill in all the fields and click "Send Email."
- To Print an article or citation, follow the instructions given or use the Print command on the web browser bar. To print a PDF file, use the printer icon on the Adobe toolbar. To print a specific page from the article, use the print preview option before printing.
- To Save an individual article, select File and Save As from the web browser bar.
Print/Email/Export Multiple Entries
- After marking the items wanted from the results list, click on the "My Research" tab at the top of the results list.
- Print a list (bibliography) of marked items by following the instructions; printing the full text of the articles must be done individually. Various citation formats are available, e.g., ProQuest, MLA, APA, Turabian.
- Articles can be exported into ProCite, EndNote, Reference Manager, or RefWorks, or as a plain text file, by following the instructions given. Exporting in these formats is only available from a marked list screen, not from individual entries.
- A selection of articles can be emailed from the "My Research" screen. Send one email with multiple articles; select a format option from the options given. Fill in all the fields and click "Send Email." Each article will appear as a separate mail message.
Set up an alert to receive emails of items added to the database that match a specified profile. See the RIS Library Guide, Email Alert Services for basic information.