(Formerly known as FIS ONLINE and MOODY'S COMPANY DATA)
Mergent Online provides comprehensive reports for approximately 15,000 publicly traded companies. The database reports basic information on the company, including history, officers and directors, subsidiaries, capital stock, long-term debt, annual and quarterly financial statements, and financial ratios. DATA FROM U.S. PUBLICLY OWNED COMPANIES ONLY ARE AVAILABLE.
Basic Search is the default search mode.
- In the text box for Identifier, select either Company Name, Ticker Symbol, or CUSIP.
Enter the first few letters, the complete company name, or keywords from the name, e.g., Harley Davidson, enter the company's stock ticker symbol, or enter a CUSIP number.
Select the appropriate Classification information (NAICS or SIC).
- Click Search.
The Advanced Search is able to generate a list of companies that share a common characteristic (e.g., all companies headquartered in Wisconsin). Follow the required steps for completing an Advanced Search. Click on the "Advanced Search" tab to start.
- Select Target Universe.
UWM Libraries subscribe to the US Company Universe only.
NOTE: The Index database allows for searching within a predefined group of companies, such as the S&P 500. UWM Libraries has access to the U.S.-based lists only.
- Make sure U.S. Company Data or Index is checked.
If Index is checked, from the drop-down menu select the appropriate list.
NOTE: UWM Libraries has access to the U.S.-based lists only.
Select Data Category.
Each category has a number of different Data Points.
- From the Category drop-down menu, choose from the following options:
Executives (e.g., directors' names)
Financials (e.g., revenue, total assets)
Corporate Information (e.g., city, stock exchange, subsidiary)
Industry Codes (NAICS and SIC codes)
Ratios (e.g., return on equity)
Pricing (e.g., dividend yieldds)
Textual Search (e.g., history)
- From the Data Points drop-down menu, choose from the available options. Available Data Points options are dependent on the previous Category selection.
Select "operator." Available operator options are dependent on Category/Data Points selection.
All options are:
- Select the condition to be used with the search item.
|Equal to||Does not equal
|Greater than||Less than|
|HINT: Contains and Starts with are suitable for textual items and Greater than and Less than are suitable for numeric items. Equal to and Does not equal can be used with both data types.|
Select a Search Value and/or Select Year.
- Under Search Value, enter the term to search for; options are dependent on Category and Data Points selected. If entering numeric values, use �T� for thousand, �M� for million, or �B� for billion.
- If appropriate, under Year, select the year required. This is most necessary for financial items. If a year is not selected, the latest available data will be searched.
- NOTE: When inputting items multiple values can sometimes be entered. These values can be separated by commas (with or without a single space on either side) or by �or�' (with the single spaces indicated). This would, for example, allow for specifying a search on more than one state. This option is not available for numeric or Textual Search items and generally works best with the Corporate Information category.
The criteria will be added to the search box in Step 3.
Add the criteria built in Steps 1 to 2.
Refine Search Criteria Refine a search by modifying the list of search criteria. The following options are available:
- Specify whether the search should be made on ALL or ANY of the criteria listed.
Select either Find matches on all Criteria ("AND") OR Find matches on any Criterion ("OR").
- Remove criteria that are no longer required. Select the criterion to be removed and click Remove.
- Clear all the criteria from the list. This would be used prior to building a new search. Click Clear.
Click on Run Search.
EDGAR reports are official financial statements and documents that public companies are required to file with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The EDGAR Search enables searches of the EDGAR filings by company information, by date, or both.
To begin, click the EDGAR Search tab. There are three search criteria to consider when performing an EDGAR search: Company Search, Filing Date Search, and Filing Type. Use any combination of these three criteria. To search, click Search at any time. To start over, click Reset at any time.
- Company Search
- Select either Company Name, Ticker, or Central Index Key and enter the appropriate text.
To search within all EDGAR documents, enter search terms in the Text Search box.
Filing Date Search
- To search by date, select the appropriate date range (e.g., Today, Last 30 Days, etc.) and, if necessary, enter the date(s) required in the corresponding boxes.
- To search for a particular EDGAR filing type, choose from the Select Type drop-down menu (e.g., 10-K, 10-Q, etc.).
Enter other types in the text box.
NOTES: Three links are available near the top of the EDGAR Search page to help specify the criteria to be used in the search. The EDGAR Definitions and EDGAR Filing Types link to definitions of names used for filings. The SEC CIK Database link displays the page on the Securities and Exchange Commission Web site where it is possible to search for the Central Index Key of a company.
It is also possible to request e-mail messages to be sent by EDGAR when new filings for selected companies are added. Click the Email Alerts link near the top of the EDGAR Search page to maintain a list of companies for which alerts should be received.
Viewing Company Reports
The Search Results page will include the names of all companies that meet the specific search criteria.
- From the search results, click on the company name to view the individual report.
- There are six categories for viewing information, as indicated by the six tabs near the top of the screen:
- Company Details -- Synopsis, Highlights, History, Joint Ventures, Business, Property, Subsidiaries, Long Term Debt, Executives, Capital Stock.
- Company Financials -- Annual or Quarterly Balance Sheet, Income Statement, Retained Earnings and Cash Flow (on an As Reported, Preliminary, Generated, or Restated basis, as applicable). Also, Financial Ratios, Analysis, and Segment information.
- Create Reports -- Custom Reporting, Pre-Defined Reports, Comparison Reports (see more information below).
- EDGAR -- Official Financial Statements and Documents.
- News -- Recent News Headlines, Historic News.
- Synopsis -- This section has a variety of sub-categories, e.g., history, capital stock, long-term debt, etc..
- To move between categories, click the appropriate tab.
- Each category provides several links or choices for navigating within the category. Click the appropriate link to view each grouping of information.
The Create Reports tab allows for customizing company information into a formatted report according to a specific design. These reports can then be viewed on the screen or downloaded for separate viewing or printing. There are three types of reports:
- Custom Reporting: Select individual components to create a unique report.
- Pre-Defined Reports: Select one or more report formats from a set list.
- Comparison Reports: Create a report that compares a selected company with selected industry criteria or with companies in the Company Analysis List.
NOTE: The Custom Report List itself is an expandable block that appears on the right side of the entry for individual companies. At any time during a session, use the Custom Report List block to view, add, generate, or remove reports from the list, or add companies to the Company Analysis List.
Company Analysis List Reports
The Company Analysis List is a method for generating reports that compare a selected company with a group of companies called a peer group. Peer groups are created by adding companies to the Company Analysis List.
- After performing a search, from the Search Results page, mark specific companies by clicking in the box to the left of the company name, or add all the companies to the Company Analysis List at once. The Company Analysis List counter will increase by the number of companies added to the list, e.g., Company Analysis List (3).
While viewing a specific company report, click on to add the company to the Company Analysis List.. The Company Analysis List counter will increase by one to indicate the addition to the list, e.g., Company Analysis List (1).
- At any time during a session, mouse-over the Company Analysis List block to view or delete companies from the list or to create Comparison or Multiple Company Reports. Comparison and Multiple Company Reports can also be created through the Create Reports tab, assuming companies have already been added to the Company Analysis List.
NOTE: The Company Analysis List itself is an expandable block that appears in the top right corner of most pages. To save screen space, the Company Analysis List block is normally only one line high. This line can be expanded to full size by mousing-over the Expand link.
Printing and Saving Reports
Creating reports is the easiest way to print and/or save in Mergent Online. Once a report has been created in a certain format (e.g., PDF, Word, Excel, or HTML), follow normal printing/saving methods for that format. Generally, such methods usually require selecting Print or Save from the File menu of the browser window.
|The Country Profile option is available from the main page of Mergent Online, on the right side of the screen. Information provided usually includes a map, history, geography, people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military, transnational issues, and stock exchange information.|
- From the Select a country from the list drop-down menu, select a country for profiling. The appropriate country profile will automatically be displayed in a separate window.
- Use the �X� close button at the top right of the window to remove it when finished.
Exiting from the Database
To exit Mergent Online, click Log out or close the browser window.
kbm 061003 mod10/27/2005