|Hispanic American Periodicals Index|
1970-Present: HAPI Online provides abstracts and indexing for 400 key social science and humanities journals published throughout the world. The database covers political. economic, social, and cultural issues concerning Central and South America, Mexico, the Caribbean Basin, the United States-Mexico border region, and Hispanics in the United States. Selected full text is available.
- Omit any accents or other diacritical marks.
- Capitalization does not matter; the searches are not case sensitive.
- Enter keywords in any order.
- Refer to the HAPI Thesaurus (under "check thesaurus" or "About HAPI") for a complete list of subject headings and translations of main headings into Spanish or Portuguese.
- Enter words in the available boxes and select the type of search wanted by using the drop down menu. Choices of fields are: keyword, journal title, author, article title, or subject.
- Words entered in the boxes in one row are combined as "or;" use synonomous terms in these boxes.
- Words in the boxes in the vertical row can be combined as "and," "or," or "not" by use of the drop down menu.
Article Title SearchExpanding or Narrowing a Search
Searches the Article Title field for a specific citation or keyword that may not have an adequate subject heading given in the Thesaurus.
- Searches foreign language titles using English language keywords (i.e., a search for "horse" will retrieve records containing the words "caballo," "cheval," "cavalo," etc., in the title).
Searches the Subject field for works about individuals as well as citations listed under a subject heading from the Thesaurus.
- To find specific headings, click the check thesaurus link for a list of options to conduct a Subject search.
- Use only English language words except for proper names.
Journal Title Search
Searches the Journal Title field to find citations appearing in a specific journal.
- Refer to the HAPI Journal List (under "About HAPI") for an listing of titles indexed by HAPI.
Truncation may be used to search for terms with various endings or unknown characters.
- Enter the beginning of a search word only (for example, braz will find records containing "brazil," "brazilian," and "brazilians").
The fields below are available to limit a search.
- Limiting a search by date or range of dates can be done by entering the four-digit years in the appropriate box(es).
- Check the box(es) to limit results to articles about U.S. Hispanics only, full text only, or to limit by language.
- Click on the Search button to initiate the search.
- To change search terms before beginning a search, click on the Clear Fields button.
- The number of citations retrieved from the search will appear at the top of the screen.
- Click on the highlighted title to display the Full Citation.
- To view all of the records written by a particular author, click on the author's name in the Full Citation display.
- To view all of the records under a specific subject heading, click on the desired heading in the Full Citation display.
- For both of the above viewing options, the results will appear in the default format (Brief Citations listed Most Recent First). To change formats from the current screen, use the pull down menus.
- A note, such as "JSTOR" will appear to the right of articles available full text online.
- From an individual record, go to the previous record, the next record, return to the full list of retrieved titles, modify the search, or select a new search by clicking on the appropriate link.
Creating a Bibliography
- From the Result List, check the box below each citation desired and click on the button. To include all of the results showing on one page of results, click on the link at the top.
- When viewing the full citation display of any item, click on the button from the full display.
- Records from multiple searches can be saved in the bibliography.
- To view the bibliography, click on the link at the top of the screen at any time.
- To remove records from the bibliography, check the box to the left of each record to be deleted, and click on the button.
- To clear the entire list and start a new bibliography, click on the link.
To Print or E-mail the Bibliography
- View the bibliography by clicking on the button at the top of the screen.
- To Print, E-mail, or download, click on the appropriate link and follow the instructions given .
MH 2002 = LB 02/20/2007' clean 3/18/11