DICTIONARY OF MINING, MINERAL, AND RELATED TERMS
CD-ROM USER GUIDE
The U. S. Bureau of Mines undertook the effort of writing the Dictionary of Mining, Mineral, and Related Terms nearly 80 years ago. Considering the technological advances, environmental regulations, and other changes that have occurred since the Bureau's previous mining dictionaries, it became apparent that a revision was necessary. After five years of collaboration with the American Geological Institute, the 1996 edition of the Dictionary of Mining, Mineral, and Related Terms has been completed. The CD is available in the UWM Libraries Media CD-ROM Collection, TN 9 .T52x 1996. The 1968 edition of the Dictionary of Mining, Mineral, and Related Terms is available in paper, TN 9 .T53.
Opening the database:
Select OPEN from the FILE Menu. The CardFile List will appear on the screen. Highlight DICTIONARY OF MINING, MINERAL, AND RELATED TERMS and press [Enter] to open the CardFile.
Searching the CardFile:
- Press the Space Bar or select ENTER from the SEARCH Menu. All of the words in
the CardFile are listed alphabetically in the Word Wheel. One or more words may be selected from the Word Wheel.
- To select one or two words, use the up and down arrow keys and press F5 or type
the word(s) to search for them.
To narrow or refine a search, use Boolean, Phrase, or Proximity searching.
1. Click on the box next to the Boolean selection.
2. Click on AND, OR, NOT, AND NOT, or OR NOT to combine two terms.
Phrase - Type a word phrase.
Proximity - Search for combinations of terms that are arranged in close proximity of oneanother. Click on the box next to Sentence, Paragraph, Ordered, or Unordered totell the CD-ROM to search for the terms in one sentence, paragraph, etc.
Viewing the Results of a Search:
The CD-ROM will display a Hit List, or list of all the Cards where the designated words appear. The Cards are listed by their Short Displays (a short description).
To view one of the hits:
Highlight the short display and press [Enter] or double click with the mouse to display the text in the Card. The text will display.
- A hidden tag placed on a word or group of words that allows a user to jump directly to a pre-defined position in the CardFile.
- A link is a hypertext connection from a piece of text to another piece of related text elsewhere in the database. Links can be made to related text, a graphic image, an external application program, bookmarks, or sticky notes.
- A connection from a word or group of words to text that has been attached to the CardFile. It is related to the index. Sticky Notes only explain or bring attention to something within the CardFile.
- Select PRINT from the FILE menu.
- Using the mouse, select Blocked Text or CardFile. (Print only selected portions of text by selecting Blocked Text, or print the entire CardFile).
- Press [Enter] or using the mouse, click on OK to proceed with printing.
- Select Printer Setup from the FILE menu.
- Using the mouse, click on the box next to Disk File or press D under Print Devices in the Printer Setup dialog box.
- At the bottom of the dialog, a line will appear stating [Disk File:]. Type in the drive name (a:\) and the name of the file to give the data to be downloaded (i.e., a:\mindict.def).
- Press [Enter] or click on OK.
||2005 content; last reviewed 05/02/2011|