UW SYSTEM BORROWING INSTRUCTIONS
UW System Borrowing can be accessed via PantherCat on the World Wide Web at http://millib.wisconsin.edu/.
UW System Borrowing allows library users with a valid UWM ID to request, borrow, and return materials from any participating library within the UW System. Materials borrowed may be returned to any participating UW System library. Users may track borrowing activities through their PantherCat Personal Record. Most materials may be checked out for 28 days during normal university sessions. Media, such as videotapes, CDs, CD-ROMs, LPs, and Curriculum Collection material will circulate for 14 days. Most items borrowed through this service may be renewed one time. Journals and magazines, reference books, course reserves, and special or archival collection materials are not available. Requests for articles should be made through the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) office. The ILL request form is available at https://wisconsin.hosts.atlas-sys.com/illiad/GZN/logon.html.LOCATE THE ITEM
- To begin a request, go to PantherCat, the UWM Libraries online catalog, at http://millib.wisconsin.edu/.
- Click the UW System Search button.
- Select a library or multiple library catalog(s) from the UW System Borrowing Libraries drop-down box and click Connect.
- Search for a title, an author, or a topic.
- When searching more than one catalog, click Show when the search has been completed to display the results of the search.
REQUEST THE ITEM
TRACK YOUR REQUEST
- Once you have located the item you would like to borrow, click on the title to view the full entry. The full entry will provide important information, including the name(s) of the UW library/libraries owning the item, the call number, and whether the item is checked out. You must view the Full Record to complete a UW System Borrowing request.
NOTE: If the item includes multiple parts, such as CD-ROMs, each part must be requested separately.
- To request the item, click the Recall/Request button.
- Enter your 11-digit UWM ID number and your last name. Click the Login button.
- You may borrow up to one hundred items through UW System Borrowing. The number you have remaining is displayed in the drop-down box. Click OK to continue.
- On the UW System Borrowing Request form, use the drop-down list to select the lending library. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the item you are requesting is part of a series or is an annual publication, you must specify a year or volume number in the Comment area.
- Enter your 11-digit UWM ID number in the form.
- Select the UW System library where you will go to pick up the item. UW-Milwaukee Libraries will be the default. The pick-up library does not have to be UW-Milwaukee; it may be any participating UW System library. However, if you choose UW-Milwaukee, you may only choose Circulation Desk - Main as the pick up location.
- Click Submit Request.
- A message will appear stating that the request has been successfully submitted.
- Click the Personal Record button to view the status of the request. Check your Personal Record frequently to track the status of the request.
NOTE: It is possible that your request may not be filled by the lending library. This information is only available through your Personal Record, no notification of a closed/cancelled request will be sent. Resubmit the request to another library if the request is not filled. Once the item has arrived, you will be notified by mail or e-mail.
- Log out of your personal record to keep your information private.
- Click on the Personal Record button in PantherCat.
- Enter your 11-digit UWM identification number and your last name. Click the Login button. (Your Personal Record will automatically appear if you logged in earlier during the search and did not log out.)
- Your personal record contains the following information about your requests:
- Recalls/Requests Pending - Status of the request may be: in process at the lending library, in transit to your pickup library, or denied by the lending library. You may cancel a UW System Borrowing request at any time in your Personal Record. Click on the check box to the left of the item and then click the Cancel button.
- Items Available - These items may be picked up at the Main Circulation Desk in the lobby of the 1st floor, west wing. NOTE: The item must be picked up before the day the request expires, as the item will be returned to the lending library.
PICK UP ITEMS
Items usually arrive within one to five days. Materials will be held at the Main Circulation Desk. You will receive a notice by mail or e-mail when the item(s) arrives. Check your Personal Record frequently to make sure the item is being sent by the lending library.
NOTE: The item must be picked up before the day the request expires or the item will be returned to the lending library. The expiration date is provided in your Personal Record and on the Item Available notice sent to you from the Main Circulation Desk.
You will be able to keep most items for 28 days and are allowed one renewal.
Videos, CDs, and curriculum materials circulate for 14 days and may not be renewed.
Items may be returned to the UWM Libraries Main Circulation Desk or to any participating UW System library.
If you require further assistance, please call the Research and Instructional Support AskaLibrarian Desk at 414-229-4659 or e-mail Ask a Librarian via http://www.uwm.edu/Library/ask/.
UWM OFF-CAMPUS STUDENTS/STAFF/FACULTY
UWM students, faculty, and staff, who are off-campus and wish to request a book owned by UWM Libraries be sent to another library, should follow different steps. From a computer, conduct a search within PantherCat, click on the Recall/Request button, then select the option for UW System borrowing, and follow the instructions to have materials sent to another UW System library. If the pick-up library selected is "UW Colleges" (e.g., Waukesha, Fond du Lac, Sheboygan) or "UW-Madison," the user MUST also choose a pick up desk.