The Research & Instructional Support (RIS) Department offers a research consultation service for students, faculty, and staff. This is an in-depth, customized, one-on-one meeting with a RIS staff member to discuss possible information resources and search strategies for class assignments, papers, presentations, Masters theses, and doctoral dissertations.
- What to Expect From a Research Consultation?
- During this consultation, the librarian will identify potential sources of information, orient you to the various research databases, discuss advanced searching techniques and document retrieval options appropriate for a specific research topic.
- How Does the Consultation Service Work?
- In order to use this service, you should have a research topic for which you need assistance. The research consultation will last anywhere from 30 minutes to one hour. You will have the opportunity to discuss your topic in-depth with a RIS staff member, who will offer advice as to what library resources will aid you in your research. We cannot actually do your research for you, but can advise you on choosing appropriate research resources, picking search terms and developing a search strategy, suggesting alternative document retrieval methods, and identifying additional contacts within the library with subject expertise.
- Who Can Use the Research Consultation Service?
- The Research Consultation Program is a service of the RIS Staff at the UWM Libraries for faculty, staff, and students of the University.
- When Is the Research Consultation Service Available?
- A research consultation is available by appointment and scheduled 3 – 10 days in advance. However, most research questions can be effectively answered at the UWM Libraries Ask a Librarian Desk seven days a week.
- Where Is the Research Consultation Service Offered?
- A research consultation usually takes place in the RIS Department. Meet your scheduled librarian at the Ask a Librarian Desk on the first floor west wing of the UWM Libraries. Some consultations can occur via telephone, or through e-mail at the convenience of the client.
- How Do I Schedule a Research Consultation?
- Fill out the this form or contact the Ask a Librarian Desk 414-229-4659 to set up an appointment.