UW-Milwaukee Home Page
Financial Aid Admissions Registration Tuition and Fees

Our office is dedicated to providing current and past members of the military as well as their qualifying dependents with accurate information and timely processing of their state and federal military educational benefits.

Summer Credit Level Calculators

MEBO Office Hours:

Monday:        8:00am to 4:30pm
Tuesday:       8:00am to 4:30pm
Wednesday: 8:00am to 4:30pm
Thursday:     8:00am to 4:30pm
Friday:           8:00am to 4:30pm


Contact Information:

Military Education Benefits Office
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Mellencamp Hall, Room 168A
P.O. Box 469
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0469

Phone: (414) 229-6627
Fax: (414) 229-5699
Email: vets@uwm.edu

GI Jobs

UWM is proud to join the ranks of select campuses across the country that have been classified as military friendly. To be considered military friendly schools adhere to a level of services, procedures, and philosophy dedicated to the success of veterans and their family members on campus set forth by such guiding principles found in the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges' Military Student Bill of Rights and GI Jobs.com's own stringent criteria. Only the top 15% of schools in the nation achieve this designation each year. Well before 2010 when recognized officially, UWM has been meeting and exceeding our veterans' needs each year making UWM the #1 destination of veterans for any public school in the state of Wisconsin.

The US Department of Education’s tool, College Navigator, can be used to find colleges and career schools that may fit your needs. You can search for schools by location, degrees offered, programs/majors, tuition and fees, setting, size, and much more. College Navigator allows you to compare schools, save your session, and export your results into a spreadsheet.

The US Department of Education’s tool, College Scorecard, is a planning tool to help students and their families make more educated decisions about college. Using the College Scorecard, students and their families can look up the cost and assess the value of colleges. Each scorecard highlights five key pieces of data about a college: costs, graduation rate, loan default rate, average amount borrowed, and employment.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has a useful website, Paying for College, to help students and their families in making financial decisions about how to pay for college.

Information about Availability of Financial Aid

Am I Eligible for Federal student financial aid?

Even if you receive veterans' benefits, you are still likely eligible for federal student financial aid. We encourage you to complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.gov to determine whether you are eligible for any additional aid in the form of grants, scholarships, and loans.

Federal Grants - The amounts listed are maximum amounts and may be different for you based on your specific eligibility.

Federal Loans - The amounts listed are maximum amounts and may be different for you based on your specific eligibility.

What are the differences between federal and private student loans?

Federal student loans (offered by the federal government) include many benefits (such as fixed interest rates and income-based repayment plans) not typically offered with private loans (offered by a lender such as a bank or credit union). Private loans are generally more expensive than federal student loans. As a rule, students have always been encouraged to maximize borrowing through federal loan programs first.

What Members of the U.S. Armed Forces Need to Know About Their Federal Student Loan Benefits

Federal Loan vs. Private Loan Comparison Chart

Post 9/11 GI Bill Changes

Effective beginning in 2011, there are changes to the Post 9/11 GI Bill or Ch.33 benefits. Among other things that widely impact our students are changes to the monthly pay based on enrollment level, pay for distance education, elimination of break pay, etc. Please visit the federal GI Bill at the following link or contact our office for more information.


UWM Joins Yellow Ribbon Program

Beginning in 2011, UWM joined other schools in the state by signing up for the Yellow Ribbon Program; a joint matching program between schools and the VA. Students accepted into the Yellow Ribbon Program will have ALL of their out of state tuition paid for without additional expense to the student. Contact the Military Education Benefits Office for more details.

Wisconsin GI Bill

New Grade Point Average Requirement for the WI GI Bill

The GPA requirement applies to anyone using the WI GI Bill, including veterans or eligible spouses or children who may use the program as a result of their relationship with a veteran whose service qualifies for the WI GI Bill.

As of January 1, 2014, you must have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA to qualify for any benefits (tuition remission or supplemental payments) under the WI GI Bill program. This means that if your cumulative GPA is not at least 2.0 as of January 1, 2014, you will not qualify for tuition remission and you are responsible for any costs associated with attending classes for the spring 2014 semester.

After January 2014, you must have a cumulative 2.0 GPA at the beginning of any semester in which you register for classes or you will not qualify for any WI GI Bill benefits for that semester.

You may regain eligibility for the WI GI Bill: If you lose your WI GI Bill eligibility because of your GPA, but later improve your cumulative GPA to at least 2.0, you will be able to use the WI GI Bill during the next semester in which you enroll for classes.

For more information on changes to the WI GI Bill click on the link below or contact the MEBO.

Changes to the WI GI Bill

UW System withdrawal policy for WI GI Bill:

If students withdraw from the institution prior to the 100% refund deadline, the semester and credits will not be counted toward the eight semesters and 128 credits allowed for under the WI G.I. Bill. If students withdraw from the institution after the 100% refund deadline, the semester and credits will count toward the eight semesters and 128 credits allowed under the WI G.I. Bill.

In some cases, if the withdrawal is due to medical circumstances, the semester or credits may not count against WI GI Bill eligibility. If you have questions about this policy, please contact the Military Education Benefits Office.

Check the Status of your WI GI Bill on-line:

To see if you're approved for the Wisconsin GI Bill, click on https://services.dva.state.wi.us/WDVALogin.aspx

Once there, sign up for a loginID and password. If this is your first time applying for State veterans benefits, you won't be able to see your status until the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs "WDVA" assigns you a base number; which is part of the approval process. When you log on and see "WI GI Bill Eligibility Approved," it means you have been approved by the WDVA. They will notify your school of your eligibility within the next two weeks. Once the school receives this information it will usually take about a week for the waiver to be placed on your student account.

Federal Montgomery GI Bill:

VA Pay Rates:

Effective October 1 each year, the benefit rates for MGIB students increase. Please visit the GI Bill website for more information on this important update for the new school year at: http://www.gibill.va.gov/resources/benefits_resources/rate_tables.html

VA Enrollment Certification:

For anyone wishing to use Federal VA education benefits, be sure to turn in a "VA Benefits Request Form" for the current school year (located in the forms section of our website). Students are given the option to request certification for fall and/or spring on this form; a separate form is available for summer school. It's recommended to check with our office before EVERY semester begins to make sure that your enrollment has been certified.

The VA may cover tutoring Costs:

Are you struggling with your courses? You might want to take advantage of a tutor, courtesy of the VA. The course that you receive tutoring in must be necessary for the completion of your approved program. You must be enrolled at least halftime and be a recipient of Chapter 30, 33, 35, 1606, or 1607. The VA will pay up to $100 per month for your tutorial assistance up to a maximum of $1200. If you would like to take advantage of this program, stop by the Military Education Benefits Office for more information.

Planning to attend Classes less than Half-Time, or are you currently serving on Active Duty?

Please be aware that due to VA policy, students enrolled less than half time and/or who are on active duty AND are receiving the Wisconsin GI Bill will NOT be eligible for monthly Montgomery GI Bill payments. Less than 1/2 time enrollment for MGIB students is considered to be less than 6 credits for undergraduates and less than 4 credits for graduate students.

National Guard

If you are using the National Guard Tuition Grant you can pick up an application in our office, or online at: http://dma.wi.gov/dma/SHR/forms/2009_tuition_grant_application.pdf.

Applications must be submitted no later than 60 days after the conclusion of each semester. Early submission of applications to our office is HIGHLY encouraged. Please be advised that due to a change in DoD policy, federal tuition assistance or FTA can no longer be used to help pay for segregated fees, which are part of a student's tuition bill.

Need Help Getting your NOBE?

National Guard Members who need to obtain their Notice of Basic Eligibility or NOBE for short now have a one-stop shop to obtain this important documentation on-line. For more information visit: https://minuteman.ngb.army.mil/Benefits/Unsecured/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fbenefits%2f.

Members whose documentation is not available on-line should contact their unit education offices.

VetEd Tuition Reimbursement

VetEd Tuition Reimbursement Grant: This application MUST be received by the WDVA within 60 days of the start of a semester or the Grant will be denied. Complete the application online at: https://services.dva.state.wi.us/WDVALogin.aspx.

Generally, the VetEd Grant program is for veterans who DO NOT qualify for the WI GI Bill. However, there are restrictions. Please visit the following link for more information on eligibility or contact the MEBO. http://dva.state.wi.us/VetEd

ROTC Programs

The Department of Defense offers Reserve Officer Training programs at Milwaukee area schools including UWM. All ROTC programs are coordinated through Marquette University. Click on a branch of service below for more details and benefits:

ARMY: http://www.marquette.edu/rotc/army/

NAVY: http://www.marquette.edu/rotc/navy/index.shtml

AIR FORCE: http://www.marquette.edu/rotc/airforce/


Veterans Wisconsin Education Portal:

The UW System and Wisconsin Technical College System are pleased to be working together to make it as easy as possible for veterans like you to access benefits, make the transition from military service to college, and find the right fit from among Wisconsin's public colleges and universities.

The individuals and resources listed on this website: http://veterans.wisconsin.edu/ are available to assist you in understanding and accessing veterans benefits and programs. Thank you for your service to our country, and best wishes as you plan your future.

UWM Students called to Active Duty:

Students called up for Federal involuntary active duty military service during the school year have options to alleviate the impact on their studies. Students have several grading options available to them, as well as, relief for tuition and/or housing bills. Find more information here or contact the MEBO with any questions: http://www4.uwm.edu/academics/military.cfm/;

Veterans Employment Resources:

The top job board for separating or retiring military personnel is VetJobs.com ; the only veteran-specific website in the recent top 30 employment websites. Post resumes, search for jobs, find resources, and much more.

The National Resource Directory is also available via our website links or can be accessed here for jobs that parallel a veterans' military experience. https://www.nationalresourcedirectory.gov/home/veterans_job_bank

Veterans request a DD-214 on-line:

The Office of Military Personnel Files has announced that veterans and the next of kin of deceased veterans can now submit a request for a copy of their DD214, Record of Military Service on-line. For more information please visit: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

UWM Veterans Join Student Veterans of America:

Student veterans on campus this year have teamed up and joined the Student Veterans of America or SVA. SVAJoining the SVA permits admittance into the larger community of veterans enrolled in higher education across the country. SVA is dedicated to addressing the issues facing servicemembers, setting goals, networking, and advocacy through teamwork which benefits all veteran students across the USA. Your SVA officers this year at UWM include Lia Coryell, President, Mike Kirchner, Vice President, Zach Harper, Communications, and Ryan Walters, Treasurer. Contact the officers for more information at: SVA@uwm.edu

Helpful Information

Links Forms

State Resources:

UWM Military & Veterans Resource Center:

Wisconsin Veterans Education Portal:

Wisconsin Department of Veteran Affairs:

Check GI Bill status online:

National Guard Benefits:

VetEd Tuition Reimbursement Program:

Wisconsin County Veterans Service Officers Homepage

UWM Students Called to Active Duty

Federal Resources:

Federal Military Educational Benefits:

Benefits and Services for OEF/OIF veterans:

Request a DD-214 on-line:

Milwaukee VA Medical Center

Veterans Employment Resources

National Resource Directory

Guitars for Vets:

Send a Greeting to the Troops:

Student Loan Military Deferments:

UW-Milwaukee Military Education Benefits Office Forms:

General Information Military Educational Benefits at UWM

VA Benefits Request Form 2015-16

VA Benefits Request Form 2016-17

VA Benefits Request Form Summer

Change of Course Load/Credits Form


Federal Forms:

22-1990 Form - Application for VA Education Benefits

Applying for Chapter 1607 Benefits

22-1995 Form - Change of Place or Program

22-5495 - Change of Place or Program for Dependents

22-5490 Form - Application for Chapter 35 Benefits for Survivors/Dependents of Veterans

22-1990t Form - Application for Tutorial Assistance

24-0296 Form - Direct Deposit Enrollment

22-0810 Form - Reimbursement of National Exam Fee


Apply for Benefits:

Wisconsin GI Bill Application Packet

National Guard Reimbursement Grant Application

VetEd Tuition Reimbursement Grant

Montgomery and Post 9/11 GI Bill

Federal Tuition Assistance