Campus Connect Suicide Prevention Training
CAMPUS CONNECT SUICIDE PREVENTION TRAINING
Initiated at UWM in response to campus needs identified by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Mental Health Task Force, the Campus Connect Suicide Gatekeeper Training Program is designed specifically for university communities with the goal of developing a network of individuals within the community who are prepared to assist in identifying and supporting students in crisis and referring them to appropriate mental health resources. The curriculum has been shown to improve participants' suicide intervention skills and is featured in the Suicide Prevention Resource Center's Best Practices Registry. More information regarding the Campus Connect program can be found here: http://counselingcenter.syr.edu/campus_connect/connect_overview.html
To date, over 1300 members of our campus community have participated in UWM's Campus Connect program. As a result of their participation in the Campus Connect training, these individuals increased their crisis intervention skills, comfort levels responding to individuals in crisis, and knowledge regarding suicide; almost all participants left the training feeling confident in their ability to be effective in responding to an individual in crisis, to ask someone if they are thinking about suicide, and to assist distressed students in accessing appropriate referral resources. Since September 2011, these members of our campus community have utilized the skills attained in this training to intervene and assist 773 UWM students, 197 UWM faculty/staff, and 411 individuals who are not affiliated with UWM!
1. Fall 2013 Campus Connect trainings have been scheduled for the following dates. Interested individuals may utilize the links, below, to reserve a space in their desired session.
2. This Fall, we are pleased to be introducing some continuing education opportunities for individuals who have already completed the Campus Connect training. The Campus Connect Suicide Prevention Training BOOSTER is an interactive "refresher" training on crisis response and suicide prevention that was designed in response to the continuing education needs identified by past Campus Connect participants. Details and registration links can be found, below.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to some staffing changes, we will be unable to schedule individual training sessions for specific departments or offices this semester, as we have done in the past. We hope to be able to accommodate these requests again in the Spring. To offset this temporary change, we have increased the number of available "open enrollment" sessions and are confident that these offerings will be able to meet the needs of all interested participants. Thank you for your understanding.
Fall 2013 Campus Connect Suicide Prevention Gatekeeper Training sessions
- Thursday, September 19 from 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm in Union 250
- Friday, September 27 from 9:00 am - 11:30 am in Union 340
- Monday, October 14 from 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm in Union 250
- Wednesday, October 30 from 10:00 am - 12:30 pm in Union 260
- Tuesday, November 5 from 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm in Union 260