What Is The DAISY Faculty Award?
The DAISY Foundation, as part of its service to the nursing profession’s role in patient care established The DAISY Award For Extraordinary Nursing Faculty (includes all clinical teaching staff as well).The purpose of this program is to provide to colleges/schools of nursing a national recognition program they may use to demonstrate appreciation to teachers for their commitment and inspirational influence on their students. The Foundation hopes that, in some way, this program will contribute to a positive work environment for faculty in schools.
About The DAISY Foundation
The DAISY Foundation was established in 2000 by the family of J. Patrick Barnes who died of complications of the auto-immune disease Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (ITP) at the age of 33. (DAISY is an acronym for diseases attacking the immune system.) During Pat’s 8 week hospitalization, his family was awestruck by the care and compassion his nurses provided not only to Pat but to everyone in his family. So one of the goals they set in creating a Foundation in Pat’s memory was to recognize extraordinary nurses everywhere who make an enormous difference in the lives of so many people by the super-human work they do every day.
Specific Criteria To Consider:
Excellence in Teaching
- Exhibits creativity, evidence-based teaching practices, scientific foundations, application of learning theories and currency of knowledge in teaching strategies.
- Displays a personal interest in student learning.
Quality Relationships with Learners
- Demonstrates care and compassion with students while facilitating learning in the classroom and clinical environment.
- Provides an environment where students can freely express opinions and ideas in a respectful manner.
- Is fair and unbiased in his/her treatment of individual students.
- Collaborates effectively with other professionals to facilitate student learning.
How To Nominate An Extraordinary Nursing Instructor:
Students, faculty, staff, administrators and community partners may nominate a deserving nursing teaching staff member by filling out this form online. Or you can print it out and send it to:
UWM College of Nursing
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, WI 53201
or fax: 414-229-6474 or e-mail to email@example.com.