For Private Groups
We invite you and your private group to explore astronomical topics at the Manfred Olson Planetarium theater at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Teachers, please see the For Teachers link in the left-side menu. For Girl Scout groups, please see our Girl Scouts page.
Private shows are for
- Large groups of people (more than 20), who might not fit on a Friday night show
- Summer camps
- Groups who would prefer to visit at a time other than Friday at 7:00 p.m.
- People who are celebrating a birthday, an anniversary, or other special events
- Groups with special needs (physical, mental, behavioral disabilities)
- Girl Scouts, who have special requirements for badges
The planetarium show costs $100 per private group for up to 68 people. If you are a teacher bringing a student group, your fee is different! Please see the For Teachers page.
The fee for optional hands-on activities ranges from $30 to $60 depending on the size and age of the group and the particular activities chosen.
To make a reservation, email Jean Creighton at email@example.com or call 414-229-4961. Please state the students' grade, your preferred dates/day of the week (a.m. or p.m.), and if you would like to do any optional hands-on activities (Refer to “For Teachers” portion of the website for a list of suitable activities).
After we have agreed upon a date and time, we will email you an invoice form. Kindly arrange for the check and reservation invoice form to arrive before your scheduled program. Please send a completed copy of the invoice form and a check made to "The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee" to:
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, WI 53201
The planetarium show is 55-60 minutes long and consists of:
- Summary of the program and expectations (5 minutes)
- Tour of the solar system (Depending on grade; topic may vary) (15-20 minutes)
- Description of constellations and objects in the current night sky (20-25 minutes)
- Summary and a question and answer period (5-10 minutes)
The show can be shortened for young audiences or altered to meet special needs. Other topics are available upon request such as programs for middle school and high school.
Optional Hands-On Activities
We also offer optional hands-on activities that explore the following themes:
- Scale of the Solar System (suitable for people over 7 years old)
- Star Maps (suitable for people over 9 years old)
The activities can last between 15 and 30 minutes depending on the activity and the age of the group. Please refer to our Plan Your Visit page for more details.
When Are Private Shows Offered?
- Typically, shows may be scheduled between 9 am and 4 pm. Please contact Jean Creighton at (414) 229-4961 or firstname.lastname@example.org for specific dates.
- Some evenings (typically Monday or Wednesday) and select weekends are available upon request.