On January 29th, 2001, the joint meeting of the Computer Policy Committee and the Educational Media Policy Committee adopted the following resolution regulating the use of commercial domain names, such as .COM, .ORG, and .NET, by units of UWM.
The intent of this policy is:
- Make sure UWM materials do not `go missing' when departments or individuals neglect to renew these commercial net addresses.
- Prevent potential problems due to reliance on commercial domain name providers for a service we can do on campus under our own control.
- Prevent reliance by departments on domain names under actual ownership and control of individual registrants (not UWM itself).
- Provide visitors with a consistent .uwm.edu branding of our web materials and eliminate avoidable confusion as to ownership of materials.
- Avoid the annual cost to the university of renewal of potentially a large number of commercial domain names.
Units desiring a custom domain name for their web materials may obtain, at no cost, a `vanity' URL of the form www.theirname.uwm.edu. See Vanity URL Guidelines for information on applying for such a domain name.