Lawn Chemical Application
The use of lawn chemicals at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is governed by the Landscape Subcommittee of the Physical Environment Committee and administrative code Chapter ATCP 29. The Department of Facility Services, Buildings and Grounds Section, manages the contract with the vendor who provides lawn chemical treatments.
Current policy mandates reduced use of chemical herbicides. In response to this policy Facility Services contracts for three lawn chemical applications per year:
- Spring: Chemical fertilizer [Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium (Potash)] combined with a broad leaf herbicide and a crabgrass herbicide is applied on a weekend morning.
- Summer: Chemical fertilizer only is applied. "Spot" applications of broadleaf and crabgrass herbicides are used where weed growth is prolific. Again, applications are made early on weekend mornings when campus population density is low.
- Fall: Chemical fertilizer only is applied. No herbicides are used. Applications are made on a weekend morning.
Lawn Chemical applications are anticipated for the following dates:
- Spring: May application was May 18, 2013.
- Summer: June application is scheduled for June 22, 2013.
- Summer: No August spot application scheduled at this time.
- Fall: October application of fertilizer is scheduled for October 12, 2013.
Spot application of fertilizer and herbicide may take place as needed by our in-house personnel. Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and product labels for the chemicals used are available to campus occupants and neighbors as part of UWM's Chemical Right-To-Know Program. Contact UWM Grounds operations at (414) 229-6272 for further information.
Updated: May 20, 2013