Important Formatting Ideas For Mail Pieces
- Make sure your piece is properly folded, open side on the top.
- Have a clear address area-try to have at least 4 inches wide
- If you are thinking of using a postcard and sending it bulk rate use a 6 1/8 inches high x 11 ½ inches wide. The cost is the same as a 3 ½ x 5 card.
- Use a heavier paper for your brochures than normal typing paper.
- The color of the paper should be white or lighter pastels so that you don’t run into a reflectiveness problem.
- Aspect ratio- The length of the piece divided by the width must fall between 1.3-2.5 to be automation compatible.
- Flat-size pieces should have their address blocks formatted landscape rather than portrait so our machines can handle the width. Also, with the recent increases to flat rates, folding a flat in half when possible will save postage.
- If you are using courtesy reply or business reply envelopes or postcards, make sure you have the proper FIM and barcode so the mail piece can go automation. The artwork is available through Printing Services at the USB.
- If you are thinking of having us do any kind of inserting, please have your pieces folded like a private letter.