2310 E. Hartford Avenue
Space: 34,806 gsf
Three stories plus basement and attic
Original Cost: $295,090
Chapman Hall was acquired in the purchase of the Milwaukee-Downer College campus and served as the library until the College closed its campus and joined with Lawrence College in Appleton, Wisconsin in 1964. The building was named for Alice G. Chapman (1853-1935), benefactress of the college; who willed one million dollars for a library or auditorium, a president's house, and an endowment for faculty salaries. Besides the library, the building contained an art gallery and the Teakwood Room, a reception hall paneled with ornately carved East Indian teakwood taken from the Chapman family home. The teakwood paneling was again moved in 1964 to a special room at Lawrence University, and its site in Chapman Hall was converted into offices for the Chancellor. The building is used for administrative offices. The building underwent extensive renovation, including asbestos abatement, between 1993 and 1994.Asbestos Synopsis:
- DOA-DSF Wisconsin Asbestos-Lead Management System (WALMS)room-by-room inspection performed June 2005. Please see the WALMS database (under development) for additional asbestos/lead survey information.
- Nearly all mechanical systems were replaced during the 1993 renovation, including asbestos thermal system insulation (TSI). Abandoned asbestos-TSI or debris may still exist in interior spaces of original walls, crawl spaces, inaccessible pipe chases or in attic spaces directly above lavatories, since these areas were not part of the 1993-1994 building renovation.
- We presume the steam/condensate lines in the pipe conduit between the tunnel and Chapman are insulated with asbestos block insulation.
- All original nine-inch asbestos floor tile and mastic removed during 1993 renovation, except for room 401.
- Original job-mixed textured acoustical ceiling plaster in some parts of the building is asbestos containing material. Only the textured finish layer is ACM, not the brown-coat layer.
Please consult with Robert Grieshaber for sample locations and known ACM ceilings.
- First Floor ACM acoustical plaster known locations: 100A, 100D
- Second Floor ACM acoustical plaster known locations: 200A, 211 Regent's Room
- Third Floor ACM acoustical plaster known locations: Corridors 300A and 300B (e.g. elevator lobby and hallway)
- All original job-mixed wall plaster sampled to date has been negative for asbestos.
- Attic Spaces: Pre-cast roof panels are asbestos-free.
Brown coat plaster pressed into wire lathe and plaster-like material mudded over black iron is asbestos-free.
There is little if any TSI in the main attic spaces (e.g., above 202, 204, 211), therefore, these spaces should be free of asbestos debris. Areas above lavatories could have ACM TSI debris, since these areas were not part of the renovation.
- Original fire-rated doors not sampled (requires investigation).
- We have not discovered any spray-on fire-proofing or insulation in the attic spaces or other internal wall/ceiling spaces.
- Thermal blanket insulation was applied to many areas of cabinetry, for example in the Chancellor's office/library, to protect the woodwork from warping due to heat extremes from radiant and forced air heating. We believe most of this insulation has been removed during past office renovations, however some may still exist particularly the older unmodified cabinetry. Please use caution when dismantling any cabinetry.
- Contact Physical Plant Services for photo documentation. Please see the UWM Asbestos Inventory for additional information
- The mezzanine M250 level and room 401 may be used for storage only due to lack of second exit.
Updated September 10, 2010