Health & Safety

Englemann Montage

Engelmann Hall

Building #1931
2033 E. Hartford Ave.
Built: 1926
Built: 1958 (west wing-gymnasium, and "kindergarten wing")
Demolition: "kindergarten wing" razed in 1991 (?) for construction of AUP
Renovated: 1996 (partial, DFD #93380)
Space: 102,374 gsf
Three stories plus basement
Original Cost: $384,000

 

Asbestos:

    • Engelmann Hall was partially renovated in 1996 (DOA-DFD #93380). The first, second and third floors were gutted and renovated and should be considered asbestos-free with few exceptions:
      • DFD renovation funds did not permit total asbestos abatement. Asbestos fittings may still be found above the Human Resource Department office area. There may be a few other asbestos insulated pipes which were left in place. Replacement fittings are fiberglass or Armaflex, any remaining mudded fittings are ACM.

      • We believe all block insulation was removed from the pipe hangers in the renovated spaces of the first, second and third floors. Block insulation may still exist in the basement and other areas which were not renovated.
    • The gymnasium, lecture hall and basement were not renovated as part of the 1996 renovation and therefore still have asbestos application. In regard to these non-renovated spaces:
      • Presume all original twelve inch floor tile as VAT and all mastic as ACM. Twelve inch replacement tile and mastic may or may not be VAT; Please sample before any disturbance.
        • Thermal System Insulation:
          • There is a variety of thermal system insulation (TSI), some ACM and some not. In general, fittings are woven cloth covered-"mud" and straight section pipe insulation is fiberglass. Chilled water insulation has been negative, however other utilities may or may not be ACM. Some original straight section TSI is AirCell. Abandoned asbestos-TSI may still exist between walls and in chases.

          • Insulation on pipe saddles is asbestos block. Because of the variability of TSI application in non-renovated spaces, contact Physical Plant Services before any disturbance of existing mudded insulation or other suspect materials.
          • Lockerrooms B86 (men's) and B88 (women's) have ACM TSI, including mag insulation and Air-Cell, above the ceiling. Use appropriate precautions when investigating or working in this area.
          • Rooms B45A, B49, B83 and perhaps others, have an overhead air-cell insulated pipe.
        • Plaster:
          • All plaster sampled to date in the 1926 construction, specifically in the renovated areas of the building, has been asbestos-free.
          • Some of the ceiling plaster and ceiling tile mastic in the gymnasium (room 199, built 1958) tested positive for asbestos. These materials will likely be removed in Summer 2006. Additional plaster sampling is recommended for the gymnasium wing.
        • Ceiling tile:
          • all ceiling tile in the renovated areas was installed during the 1996 renovation and are presumed asbestos-free.

          • the gymnasium (room 199) ceiling tile was removed August 2005; the mastic and plaster in room 199 tested as asbestos containing material and was removed Summer 2006.
      • Transite Wall Panels: Several rooms in the basement, north of the hallway, have transite panels in the window frames rather than glass (e.g., between rooms B45A and B49).
      • We have not discovered any spray-on insulation in this building.
      • Fire-rated doors, unless newly installed during the 1996 remodeling, are asbestos core doors.
      • Please see the UWM Asbestos Inventory for additional information .pdf document, Adobe Acrobat required
  • The roof was replaced in 199_.
  • Window frames with lead-based paint replaced Summer 2000.

Fire Protection:

  • The building is not sprinklered.
  • The nearest fire hydrants are located (must be determined).

HVAC:

Under development.

 

Lead Exposure Control:

  • Please see Lead Exposure Control Practices for using or working in the rifle range.

USTs: There are no known underground storage tanks associated with this building. An abandoned fuel UST was discovered, removed and the site was decontaminated during the east wing demolition (approximately 1992), prior to construction of the School of Architecture.