Located at the University Services & Research building on Capitol Drive, the UWM Surplus Program helps manage unwanted furniture, equipment & computers from campus. This is achieved by either finding a new use for items in another department, selling them online to the public, donating them to area non-profits, or recycling them as scrap. Due to the cost & risk of this type of recycling only university purchased materials may be included, and non-UWM individuals may not donate surplus items.

Getting Rid of Campus Items

If you have unwanted items that your office or department need to get rid of, simply fill out the Surplus Declaration Form and send it to All necessary parties will be informed this way, especially the movers.  Items are generally picked up in 1-5 days.  Items to declare include, but are not limited to: desks, bookshelves, file cabinets, computers, equipment, and office supplies. It is always helpful to mark the items as “surplus”.  In order to keep the surplus program viable, there is a $40 handling charge to departments for each surplus submittal.


Please note on the Surplus Declaration Form anything that might be hazardous waste.See Attachments A & B to know how to handle such materials.University Safety & Assurances is responsible for handling hazardous waste.  US & A is also notified through sending your Surplus Declaration Form to

Review Attachment A & Attachment B before declaring surplus

Furniture should not fill hallways.The surplus program is designed to reduce campus clutter and find a way to repurpose or recycle items.

All electronic waste, including computers, printers, copiers, computer mice, and keyboards are also handled through the surplus program and are repurposed through the company Universal Recycling Technologies. URT provides certification that all items are wiped clean. 


Finding Items for New Campus Use

In order to save costs for UWM departments, some surplus items are kept for new campus use, and reuse between departments is encouraged. There is a regular, but alternating inventory of desks, tables, filing cabinets, chairs, bookcases, and office supplies based on what has been surplused. These items are stored at the University Services Building. All items are available to the campus at no charge, but pickup is the responsibility of the recipient.

Items Recently Declared

To see what is available please contact:

UW-Milwaukee Surplus at:

Services & Research Building

115 E. Reindl Way

, WI 53212

(One block north of 1st and Capital Drive

Purchasing Items on Public Auction

Since the supply of surplus items exceeds our available campus space, some items are sold on public auction. All sales are handled through the SWAP online auction, and items for sale can be viewed at the Surplus Facebook page. SWAP offers an open bidding process to the public.All items purchased are available for pickup at the University Services Building

All surplus is handled according to the State Procurement Manual.Sales to state employees are prohibited unless items are sold at announced public sales or auctions. SWAP is utilized to auction items to all interested parties.No sales outside of SWAP are currently permitted.

Purchasing Furniture from Refurbished State Contract

The recycled furniture contract is a UW-Madison contract that we may use. This contract is designed to offer University departments an alternative to buying new furniture. Furniture must be 95% or greater recycled with only connectors, electrical or other components being new only to complete an assembly or installation.To purchase refurbished furniture visit the Recycled Furniture page on the UW-Madison purchasing website.