The current email and calendar solution hosted internally is not adequately meeting the needs of our campus community. To provide better service, a project was completed to select a cloud-based email and calendar service to be hosted off-campus that best meets the needs of faculty, staff and students.
Two software applications were considered for UWM’s next email and calendar service - Google Apps for Education and Microsoft Office 365. The focus of this phase was to build on the existing work that has been completed and provide a mechanism through which an enterprise email and calendar solution is selected. This was done through:
- Review of existing efforts conducted under the “Email/Calendaring Evaluation Working Group” which published a report in May 2011 - including the requirements identified, vendors reviewed, knowledge developed to date and roadblocks identified
- Obtain feedback and validation from faculty, staff and students of requirements/needs gleaned from past email and calendar initiatives
- Examine those requirements against the service features of Google Apps for Education and Microsoft Office 365
- Recommend a solution based on “best-fit” of requirements, as well as and budget for procurement, implementation and on-going support
- Obtain feedback from the UWM community
- Provide final report to the Chancellor and the Chancellor’s Cabinet for a final decision
Office 365 was selected and from there a separate project was started which includes configuring our local infrastructure, testing, readying training and support and migrating accounts to the new service. More information on the implementation of Office 365 can be found at uwm.edu/o365.