Department of Art & Design
The Department of Art & Design develops creative thinkers, art and design professionals, and cultural leaders through a cross-disciplinary curriculum that balances innovation and tradition and is supported by a vital program of creative research. Committed to Milwaukee’s diverse urban communities, our practicing artists and scholars foster visual literacy, critical inquiry, and civic engagement for lifelong creative work.
The Department of Art & Design advances its mission by:
- Providing a curriculum that emphasizes activism, advanced studio practice, and thinking through and with the arts.
- Producing active and ethical artists and scholars that use their work to educate and facilitate social change both locally and globally.
- Actively contributing to research and philosophy regarding the relationships between tradition and new technologies.
- Expanding the role of the artist in society through emphasis on collaborative relationships, entrepreneurial spirit, and internationalization.
- Practicing flexibility in quickly changing/advancing professional fields, and encourage innovation, accountability and ethics.
- Supporting, promoting and expanding inter-media and interdisciplinary practices and collaborative research across the university, community and beyond.
Creation of the Chancellor's Medallion
At the request of new UWM Chancellor Michael R. Lovell, Art & Design faculty and students from the Peck School of the Arts designed and created the Chancellor's Medallion, which will be unveiled at his Oct. 14, 2011 Inauguration. The artists, determined to get away from a "ceremonial object that has no relevance," spent months crafting a piece inspired by UWM, Milwaukee's industrial past, and Lovell's own engineering background. This is what they came up with.